Cherry for smoking

Tom at Heartwood

I have a quantity of cherry logs available suitable for smoking.  I'm not sure of the exact amount but my guess is around 10 tonnes.  Some of the logs I plan to mill for timber with slab wood suitable for smoking and some will convert directly from round timber to smoking timber.  I can prepare billets of 1m length and strap these into one cubic meter bundles or load loose billets into IBC cages for transport. I can also kiln dry if required and chip.  Please get in touch if of interest.  Tom. [email protected]

Just wondering, I am not an expert at smoking food but I have only ever seen chips and sawdust used to cold smoke fish and meats by my father in law.  

Helps to to enhance the flavour of course but would logs not actually cook the meat that was intended for smoking?

Looking to be educated and not trying to be a smart Alec.

On 08/07/2019 at 22:37, Rich Rule said:

Just wondering, I am not an expert at smoking food but I have only ever seen chips and sawdust used to cold smoke fish and meats by my father in law.  

Helps to to enhance the flavour of course but would logs not actually cook the meat that was intended for smoking?

Looking to be educated and not trying to be a smart Alec.

I like a bit of smoke on my BBQ. Really depends on how you use the Wood. A select few, bark free chunks smoldering on the coals is fine. Keep the vents partially closed and the chunks dont get the oxygen to ignite. I use a BBQ Guru to control the air on my modded BBQ.  Dont soak your chunks in water, its a waste of time. Tests with dyed water have shown how little the water penetrates even after 24 hours. 

Chips of wood are great to enhance flavour when sprinkled directly over the coals, so again not cold smoking but either direct or indirect heat from the coals is cooking your food via infrared radiation. Same applies to chips as chunks inasmuch that the control of oxygen will stop the chips busting into flame. Dont soak these either, you're just killing the temp of the coals by dousing them in cold water. Use your vents to control the flames. 

Dedicated Smokers are again different, you get various designs but they can be loaded up with big old chunks of wood and indirectly hot smoke your food. 

I only use logs when Spit Roasting (oi oi oi) a pig or piglett and thats really just to get a good bed of embers going. Bark's not an issue in this instance. 

Cheers TA.

the missus father cold smokes fish.  He has a little brick structure with chimney pots out the back going about 15 feet up a hill.  Sets a fire in the bottom and sprinkles the saw chips and usually some sprigs of Juniper.  

At at the top of the chimney he has an oak barrel with usually Trout or Artic Char hanging.  Cover the fire at the bottom leaving a small vent and then the top is covered.  Next day you have smoked trout for breakfast.