Crane removal video

Steve Bullman

24 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

Why is it that people want to tell other people what to do with their trees ? If my neighbour was gunner paint his house yellow I might not like it and most probably the other neighbour's would think it lowered the tone of the street but I wouldn't try and tell him not to or ring the council we need to get away from busy body interfering ways it's no good !

It’s one that slipped through the net so to speak as the previous owners were not a threat to it .

most of the area around it is a mixture of conservation area and TPO its the prime area in Norwich because of the Trees so I think they are well within their rights to have an opinion and try to save it 

Why the v shaped cuts guys?
I’m guessing it aids in keeping control of the limbs, stops them from moving around and obviously gives the crane driver those extra few seconds grace to see you get clear after making the cut before he operates and moves on the controls?

It’s just what I have always used, I like that you can see how the piece is balanced before it’s picked, talking the driver into the pick as you watch it move.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Philip Anderson said:

It’s one that slipped through the net so to speak as the previous owners were not a threat to it .

most of the area around it is a mixture of conservation area and TPO its the prime area in Norwich because of the Trees so I think they are well within their rights to have an opinion and try to save it 

It’s just what I have always used, I like that you can see how the piece is balanced before it’s picked, talking the driver into the pick as you watch it move.

Was my mechanical side in me taking over, can see how it would help and to be fair, working at such a height with such forces.... its all about safety at end of the day! [emoji106][emoji106] good watch. You/Steve should post more!

Was my mechanical side in me taking over, can see how it would help and to be fair, working at such a height with such forces.... its all about safety at end of the day! [emoji106][emoji106] good watch. You/Steve should post more!

Thanks.
I post a lot on Facebook and Instagram if you were interested give me a look [emoji4]
  • Like 1

Thanks.
I post a lot on Facebook and Instagram if you were interested give me a look [emoji4]

Not on bookface or instantgran ? not my sort of thing. We’ll just have to rely on Steve to post more of em on here [emoji51][emoji106]
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R.Arb said:

It did look as though a lot of the pieces came back at you?  At least the v cut allowed you to get out of the way.  

What was was the reason for the cuts coming at you?

Couple of years ago we landed a job doing a couple of large removals for a property developer. Big Victorian house, nice part of town, very big front garden, so the trees were coming down and a big drive, some hard landscaping and nice gates going in etc.. plus a big refurb on the house.

This was to be the first of many (well paid) jobs with this developer, well respected and doing legit quality work. (No ringbarking)

When I first saw the trees, a large mature beech and 2 large silver birch I was surprised that there were no TPO’s on them. The developer showed us the architects report and the planning permission and I also double checked with the council who were very evasive on the phone about whether there were TPO’s or not. We finally established there weren’t.

We were just about to start work when a neighbour comes out and starts arguing with us about why we are about to remove the trees, then a guy from the planning dept comes up to us and tells us to stop work.

He informs us that the council have just issued a blanket TPO for the area because the neighbour had objected.

The developer was understandably furious having gone through the correct channels etc..

(We never got any more work off him)

It turns out that the council had been neglecting their duty to provide proper tree surveys in order to be able to designate TPO’s in this area (which is why these trees end up nearly ‘slipping through the net’ )

It’s easy to have a go at the home owner, developer or contractor. If the council did their job properly, these situations wouldn’t arise so often. Important, mature trees with amenity value don’t just spring up overnight. It shouldn’t be beyond the council to provide decent surveys and make quality decisions on which trees should be protected. Surely the TPO should be issued purely by merit of the value of the tree rather than the perceived character of the homeowner!

I’m not condoning it at all but you can see why people resort to ringbarking.

(Sorry for the derailment, Steve)

• Like 2