Land for the Many A report to the Labour Party, June 2019

Stere

"Stolen from the few", so that will be all right then,

just to complete their unfinished sentence.

Death duties were introduced in 1894, and for the next century were effective in breaking up large estates.

And Labour need to(effectively) re-confiscate these same lands again, from their new owners who bought and paid for them.

But a sure Labour vote winner, robbing Peter to pay Paul

Edited by difflock
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Stere said:

Interesting ideas paper:

LANDFORTHEMANY.UK

This independent report commissioned by the Labour Party aims to put land where it belongs: at the heart of political...

Pretty radical ideas about land ownership & tax reform.

Title: Changing the way your fundamental asset is abused, owned and governed.

A vote winner amongst the work shy layabouts who expect everything to be provided for free.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NFG said:

Title: Changing the way your fundamental asset is abused, owned and governed.

A vote winner amongst the work shy layabouts who expect everything to be provided for free.

Did you read it Noel? I'm way behind on reading things and I really don't want to waste time on this if it is absolute cloud cuckoo land.

13 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Did you read it Noel? I'm way behind on reading things and I really don't want to waste time on this if it is absolute cloud cuckoo land.

Yes, written to drum up votes I suspect.

Sounds like they want to get a load of people with no notion of what farming or land ownership entails to own (read rent from the govt) land and go farming, ideally along the train tracks.
Populist and unrealistic.
You pay the money, you own the land. Cant afford the land? Work harder.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

Scrapping stamp duty and inheritance tax are radical for Labour. A right to roam, as in Scotland, is long overdue. Creating development corporations to build affordable housing is very 1960's. Stopping the sale of County farms will allow the next generation of farmers a chance to get a foot on the ladder seems sensible, (as seen on Countryfile). Better rights for tennants can't be bad. Tighter rules on lending is better late than never.

Nothing new in any of it really.

I have read some of it and it is quite radical.  I am no labour supporter but the people who are behind the report have my respect.  I suspect very little of it will ever be enacted but maybe it will help start debate.  

We we need to talk about the housing disaster that has befallen this country, and the extreme disparity it has created.  In the last twenty years house and land prices and therefore rents have spiralled out of control, which is lovely for many people, and a nightmare for the rest.

• Like 2