What would you charge?

AWarb00

I read a few pages back that no one will probably price it the same, it seems true given that we all have slightly different equipment and techniques. No job looks the same to any two people.. everyone sees the same pic then makes individual judgements..

Also seems as if the more mechanised outfits may be quoting a bit cheaper due to time saving? just from memory over the last couple of days reading this. I may be wrong on that! Not going back to check right now, that would let fact get in the way of opinion! 

• Like 1

I read a few pages back that no one will probably price it the same, it seems true given that we all have slightly different equipment and techniques. No job looks the same to any two people.. everyone sees the same pic then makes individual judgements..
Also seems as if the more mechanised outfits may be quoting a bit cheaper due to time saving? just from memory over the last couple of days reading this. I may be wrong on that! Not going back to check right now, that would let fact get in the way of opinion! 

I’d always would of thought that bigger mechanised kit should mean you charge the same but carry the job out quicker, ie get two jobs done in the same time as one would take another standard gang?
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Martin du Preez said:

I’d always would of thought that bigger mechanised kit should mean you charge the same but carry the job out quicker, ie get two jobs done in the same time as one would take another standard gang?

Seems logical, just picked up on skyhucks comment that he seemed cheap compared to others who favoured manpower over machine power. As I said I may be wrong as I'm not fully aware of each posters scale of operations. Also location and local competition/market value seems to vary wildly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Seems logical, just picked up on skyhucks comment that he seemed cheap compared to others who favoured manpower over machine power. As I said I may be wrong as I'm not fully aware of each posters scale of operations. Also location and local competition/market value seems to vary wildly. 

yea i personally feel one should be the same price but at a fraction of the time. after all otherwise you are just spending more money on kit for the customers to reap the rewards/cheaper prices, wouldn't be much incentive of investing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Best to detail methodology to a client if you intend to crane a tree onto the back of a truck in big lumps and be gone within the hour. Some expect to see a bit of sweat for their money.

Bob 

I agree with you, but strange isn't it. In most trades, building for example,  customers want the job doing as quick as possible, but they think they're being ripped off if we are more efficient than they expected.

Has anyone ever gone to quote a job and the customer has said 'forget it, I'll get my husband to do it's.

Its this attitude of 'if I had the time, I'd do it myself.

Go on then!!

1500-1600. By the way. No special equipment apart from the chipper.  3 people, 2 days, all muck in, after it's down

Edited by Con
Forgot the main question
  • Like 2

A curious mindset I have come across.

The odd climbers who either work alone or with family.

Their diary is largely empty, they don't care about working for low money, no chipper or truck and the job takes 'as long as it takes'

They might bid €500 cash on that tree even if it takes a week but they are happy to know it is a guarranteed €500. They live this way, plodding from one job to the next, always cash and avoiding clients who can't deal with the brash themselves.

Works for the impoverished expat living on the state pension, trapped in a cycle of pre-brexit anxiety and rich clients in big houses, his and her Mercs, trophy swimming pool with a gardener to deal with the brash in exchange for the wood.

Fortunately, this lone dog climber can't be omnipresent nor are these the only clients in the world.

Stuart

• Like 1