What would you charge?

AWarb00

Well I’d be changing the spec for a start! 

Tell the customer you’re not moving rings into the garage, that’s pointless, tell the customer they’ll go mouldy due to poor air flow, much better for them to be (conveniently) left where they land/are cut up, they’ll dry better there.

No way I’d be spreading chip around flowerbeds, they can have the chip in a couple of piles in the vicinity of the drop zone convenient to us. Makes better mulch if left in a pile.

2man a day, 1comes back to grind the next morning.

jobs “worth” a fair bit, easily enough to comfortably accommodate a 3rd person day one, BUT the 3rd guy will actually only cost 0.5 days as the grinding can be done whilst cutting the stem/last bit of cleaning/when there’s nothing to do as the anti 3rd person guys keep mentioning.

So 3 man days, plus machinery costs (grinder, set of teeth, chipper)

add 0,5 - 1 extra man days for extra profit/pain in the arse tax.

Plus as mike said, you’ve got a day job so don’t try to be cheap

Out of curiosity, why'd they want the stump out?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

across the board, and my apologies to everyone for not doing it sooner....as in 2 years ago

Correct decision.  This individual was blatantly a troll.  Untrained, unskilled persons giving opinions/advice on such matters is a serious issue. :icon14:

• Like 2

I occasionally work Saturdays with a younger French climber.

Flo' cut and chucked everything because that 'was' all he knew.

Our first job together, he looked at the trees and said I'd underestimated the time plus he didn't think he had the energy to do it, it would wipe him out being a Saturday.

However, once we'd explained to him the plan to turn one branch into a crane and swing whole branches off the roof,  it was if he had seen 'the light'.

His regular weekday boss didn't rig and the groundcrew knew nothing of it either.

Afterwards, Flo' confessed his surprise and pleasure at the revelation that was our simple but effective rigging techniques and that he would enforce some changes at work or he would be physically wrecked by 30.

S'true that.

Stuart

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Interesting ,

At what point would you find it worth hiring in an Avant etc?

For a resi job like this is it worth it considering its in the front garden? Or would it speed up handling that much that it would pay for itself...just thinking out loud

Sorry I didn’t read that you had to ring and stack , I still take the avant to jobs if there is a lot of rings to move a distance but it would probably not worth the hassle if there is a couple of you with barrows .. just remember to include the time it takes to rake up the saw dust ... better if you can put sheets out but there will still probably be a truck load of saw dust and rakings up to take away.
I do like using the avant if there is only three of us as if there is only three of you the avant can drag whole limbs to the chipper and move a Stack of cord once processed.
IMG_9403.jpg

4 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I've no intention of abusing anyone (apart from Mr Johnson) I only got on Vesps case because he wouldn't leave it out. It seemed obvious to everyone apart from him that he was pissing folk off. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I know eggs,just posted that for a bubble mate.

• Like 1

Another good way of making things easy is if you know any lads in to forestry or firewood and the site allows is leave the trees in lengths and get them to pick it up with a tractor forwarder based unit.. I would always give a friend a call if the trees allowed and there was one or two trailer loads , always gives you an edge pricing and if your bunging that’s a drink was worth while every time.