Stoves on canal boats/narrowboats - anyone with practical experience?

Just now, openspaceman said:

calorifier

much the same as a buffer tank isn't it?

Similar to a old fashioned hot water tank.

WWW.ASAP-SUPPLIES.COM

Hotpot boat water heaters (marine calorifiers) designed for performance and reliability, ranging from 15 to 90 litres...

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Similar to a old fashioned hot water tank.

WWW.ASAP-SUPPLIES.COM

Hotpot boat water heaters (marine calorifiers) designed for performance and reliability, ranging from 15 to 90 litres...

Yup Isabella has one then, although it is plumbed for the propane boiler that's never used but the engine coolant does heat it.

On 04/07/2019 at 22:31, eggsarascal said:

Why did you have the central heating disconnected, was it running of a Califior (sp)?

Disconnected the heater for ease of maintenance. One less thing to go wrong.

Hot water is had from running the engine. Hot water stored in calorifier tank.

My log burner keeps me warm enough.

5 minutes ago, maria warwick said:

Disconnected the heater for ease of maintenance. One less thing to go wrong.

Hot water is had from running the engine. Hot water stored in calorifier tank.

My log burner keeps me warm enough.

Fair enough.

On a different note, I think it's quite rude for @BowlandStoves to ask a question, get answers then not reply.

Sorry for the late reply, my notifications have not been coming through. I come back to the forum every couple of days to see what is happening. Very useful comments - thanks for the feedback.

We used to sell a lot of Morso Squirrels many years ago and came across a number of suppliers who were focusing on canal/narrowboats and making a good living. I have never seen one in action on a canal/narrowboat and was curious to hear more from the horse mouth so to speak.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BowlandStoves said:

Sorry for the late reply, my notifications have not been coming through. I come back to the forum every couple of days to see what is happening. Very useful comments - thanks for the feedback.

We used to sell a lot of Morso Squirrels many years ago and came across a number of suppliers who were focusing on canal/narrowboats and making a good living. I have never seen one in action on a canal/narrowboat and was curious to hear more from the horse mouth so to speak.

Morso Squuirrels are quite popular on narrowboats that said so are many other burners. Do you have a link to what you were writing about?

The issue is that boat stoves run on a 2m or so flue,  very few stoves are actually tested on that length.  About 10 Morso stoves can run on 2m,  most of the other manufacturers cannot advise if there products will run on 2m or not.     I have recently supplied an Esse Warmheart cook stove for a boat and am told it works well.   That was installed using Pougulat 150mm TI .  

A

9 hours ago, Alycidon said:

The issue is that boat stoves run on a 2m or so flue,  very few stoves are actually tested on that length.  About 10 Morso stoves can run on 2m,  most of the other manufacturers cannot advise if there products will run on 2m or not.     I have recently supplied an Esse Warmheart cook stove for a boat and am told it works well.   That was installed using Pougulat 150mm TI .  

A

I mentioned this low draught problem earlier in the thread, as the top couple of feet of stack has to be easily removable and stowable it tends to be single skinned with a simple terminating cover, so only the bottom 4 ft can be a well insulated Poujoulat twin wall.

The only way round the low draught problem I can see would be a simple induced draught arrangement using a small 12V centrifugal fan of a couple of Watts in an ejector configuration.

In practice we avoided burning wood near residential areas