Burning wood on woodburner and multifuel stove - much difference?

Hi,

I appreciate that burning wood on a raised grate within a multifuel stove is not as efficient as a specific woodburner (the grate is on the floor of the firebox). However, I was wondering if those who have used both stove types have noticed any real difference in output/efficiency?

1 hour ago, BowlandStoves said:

Hi,

I appreciate that burning wood on a raised grate within a multifuel stove is not as efficient as a specific woodburner (the grate is on the floor of the firebox). However, I was wondering if those who have used both stove types have noticed any real difference in output/efficiency?

My wood burner has no grate , be it raised  or , on the floor of the fire box .  The floor of the fire box is a solid vermiculite board .

Having used Woodwarms both multifuel and wood only I preferred the multifuel. They are faster to light as you can add some lower air for a short while and easy to clear out with the riddling system. Both worked perfectly when up to temp with wood. Never tried the same sized model on the same flue so not a perfect comparison.

My 3 stoves ...2 multi fuel ( Arrow and a Hamlet ) and  1 early Villager C wood only stove (no longer used and replaced by the Hamlet).

The older designs like the villager C  having primary air only and in some cases a flue butterfly unlike the current designs of stoves having secondary air as well would be the most significant change be it a multi fuel or wood only stove.

Control of burn along with gasification style of combustion is why the Villager (still in good order after 20 +yrs i must say) was removed and the Hamlet solution 7 installed in its place. 

Sure ... a dedicated wood only current style stove will have a bigger capacity firebox pro rata of the case size. I was in a different position to some in as much as the choice of wood only vs Multifuel never came up due to the reclaimed nature of the Hamlet ..namely ..Free ?.

You still need to remove some ash now and again burning on the base of a wood only stove , maybe a little more straight forward if it has a grate, be it Multifuel or wood only. I allow a bit more ash build up when on wood, just not the amount of riddling needed to keep a anthracite fire burning sweet with the air underneath. My Rayburn is on anthracite so its useful to be able to swap 1  stove (other end of the house) over in the very coldest conditions for a constant 24 hr heat output with no night slumbering on wood . 

As with most things that are not a dedicated item they maybe a bit of a compromise ...just not to much of one in my situation. 

Edited by Sawchip

On 04/07/2019 at 10:55, BowlandStoves said:

Hi,

I doubt most users can tell the difference between a 55% efficient stove and a 65% one,  external air speed ( and thus the amount of pull) so many fuel variables as well. 

A

We have a charnwood la 45 multi fuel stove with back boiler, it does warm water and 9 rads. It's designed to run on anthracite I think but it hasn't seen a lump of coal in 8 years. The only air source is from underneath via a self moderating air vent. Is there anyway of making it more efficient when using purely wood as it can work its way through a good sized wheelbarrow of wood in a day.

Thanks - andy

28 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

We have a charnwood la 45 multi fuel stove with back boiler, it does warm water and 9 rads. It's designed to run on anthracite I think but it hasn't seen a lump of coal in 8 years. The only air source is from underneath via a self moderating air vent. Is there anyway of making it more efficient when using purely wood as it can work its way through a good sized wheelbarrow of wood in a day.

Thanks - andy

I think it needs the air source from above for wood ideally .  It sounds like its burning well though . If you mean by  "efficiently " burn less wood then I'm not sure that is achievable as the " burning " seems efficient as it is ...