Small track chipper? Which one!

James905

I know there's an old post on this but thought I'd get an up to date idea from people as things have changed since in industry!

I am in need of a chipper and with the jobs I am getting in, I am finding the use for a tracked is equal to towed. So I think it's best to go tracked to do it all.

What is the best small (by small I mean lightest most narrow) track chipper going?

I don't need no tree eating 6ton monster. Firewood my customers keep or goes to the yard and I like to make the most of it down to smaller logs.

Pros/ cons/ experience anything any one knows is great info to make my choice.

I've used the Jensen 6" and it's great apart from the rust! And I like the greenmech towed 6" but havnt used the tracked. Forst I hear good and bad things about but no experience

Help!

I would suggest the greenmech also. My mate worked for  a big national tree company, they had some and they were the best ones hes used. They took a lot of abuse from the lads using them too, branches dropped on them, sweepings from the kerb shoved through, that sort of thing!

• Like 2

Must admit I'll be a bit out off touch with the latest models.

But if ur ever on steep side slopes it's amazing the places a tracked 1 with tilting tracks will go.

Working on the railways it saved us heaps off time being able to track along steep bankings where ud never take a normal tracked chipper. Esp with a winch on it

Mibbee not an issue if ur only on flat gardens thou.

But the tilted tracks are really handy if/when u need them.

Greenmech Safetrak - get the chipper to the tree, wherever it is. They are far and away the best on tracks if you want to go across tricky ground (which is the whole point of a tracker chipper surely?!). 
Bit too heavy are the safe tracks. I've always found with a standard chipper they will get anywhere if you point em straight down!
But you are right, amazing bit of kit and ability, just a lot of kit for me to justify over or standard vari track

The jensen a530t did one with a tilt bed also....

I run a old jensen a530t its a vari track and tiltbed. Getting a bit worn though to be fair though done a lot of hours
Just after a good light vari track, won't have a need to tilt. The A530 is a good one though