Horticulture industry urged to be vigilant for signs of tree pest

Steve Bullman

Oak Processionary Moth (OPM) caterpillars found on trees recently imported from the Netherlands.

WWW.GOV.UK

Oak Processionary Moth (OPM) caterpillars found on trees recently imported from the Netherlands.

Some more info on Oak Processionary Moth in this article by the Arb Association last year:

Unfortunately OPM is now out of control and will eventually cover the majority of the country.

Not only will it make it more difficult to carry out work on Oak trees but we will start to lose our Oak, I have heard of a number that have had to be felled due to the damage caused by the caterpillar.

It's ridiculous that is started off from a few trees that were imported from Holland and planted by Hanger Lane, London.

It would be good if the ARB association could provide training on how best to deal with it as it can be very detrimental to your health.

Why would we need to import oak from Holland ? so thats the second major tree infection we have had from holland, its time some one in goverment stood up and realised that we where once fairly self sufficent at growing our own trees, we hardly have any elm left millions of larch have gone, ash dieback is now sweeping the country and now our native oaks are under threat what next beech ,alder, popular, birch, and the amount of birch we are importing i can see us bringing something in to the country that will kill all them next, if it was up to me i would flood the channel tunnel to make us back in to a island again with only air and water links to europe and iust set fire to the eden project where we have all these imported trees and shrubs,

• 2 months later...