People who know how it works

eggsarascal

I had two little touches yesterday, I jump started a motorhome for a bloke that stores it in the yard I'm in, he fetched me 6  bottles of beer, I organised a tanker for another fella, he was in the shit, he fetched around some folding, not a lot but a nice surprise.

Tell us about your "Tips".

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 2

It's just an effect of abiding by life rule number one. People keep doing nice things for me because I do nice things for them and others. Good example yesterday. I often help friends moving house because I usually have the biggest vehicle, the most tools and I'm just all-round handy. I usually inherit all the kitchen stuff they can't be bothered to move to the new place so I now have enough spices for the rest of my life and I've never needed to buy crockery. Yesterday was no exception (including a fine selection of hot sauces), apart from I also got a box of miscellaneous booze and a Volvo V70.

Karma isn't real apart from the fact it is and it works.

• Like 5

Yip I believe in karma, I would rather help someone than do a bad turn, and in return I tend to find people .are only too willing to help or drop me in “gifts” none of which I ask for or expect but are very gratefully received.

Got an great wardrobe last week, because the guy was needing a hand getting it out of his house as his wife was wanting a new one, turns out his old one was better than my own so guess which one got kept.

Bottle of whisky the week before for putting a bolt into my lathe to put a hole down the middle of it and a wee lip onto the start of it.

Its good to help people out, makes everyone happy and the world go round.

• Like 2

Had a guy over to buy a small cherry board.
He insisted on paying extra as he was so pleased with it.
So I gave him some small oak boards (offcuts).
Now he wants 2 more cherry boards and a dozen serving boards.
[emoji106]
It's a great way of filtering clients.
Be really nice and honest about pricing and quality.
The good ones will come back.
[emoji106]

• Like 3

On the other hand since the wife started growing fruit, then buying sugar at retail prices, buying jampots(40p each, at the pallet rate or £600/£700.00 for the pallet, which we paid), tending the garden, picking the fruit, and lovingly making superb "organic" jam.

And only asked for the pots back, in return.

Over about 10 years experience.

(i) Most people cant even be arsed to return the pots, at all.

(ii)Most of those that return the pots are too lazy to remove the labels and wash them out properly.

We have got some quite disgusting boxes/bags of stinking pots, from some surprisingly "well bred/middle class" people too.

Literally only 1 or 2 people return the pots clean, and one of them is an Aunt, the other is a farmers wife.

It does make us wonder.

mth

1 minute ago, difflock said:

On the other hand since the wife started growing fruit, then buying sugar at retail prices, buying jampots(40p each, at the pallet rate or £600/£700.00 for the pallet, which we paid), tending the garden, picking the fruit, and lovingly making superb "organic" jam.

And only asked for the pots back, in return.

Over about 10 years experience.

(i) Most people cant even be arsed to return the pots, at all.

(ii)Most of those that return the pots are too lazy to remove the labels and wash them out properly.

We have got some quite disgusting boxes/bags of stinking pots, from some surprisingly "well bred/middle class" people too.

Literally only 1 or 2 people return the pots clean, and one of them is an Aunt, the other is a farmers wife.

It does make us wonder.

mth

Yam are always looking on the bright side Marcus.

I just went to price a garden job and decided why I was there I'd remove the scraggly little tree hiding behind her greenhouse..  she lives down the road from my house..  

Gave me four pound fifty for my troubles..   I told her I didn't want owt bar the cup of coffee but she insisted I get paid... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

Yam are always looking on the bright side Marcus.

Eggs,

Quite seriously, I do, and I have stopped and offered/provided help to stranded motorists, etc. etc.

But the behavouir we have observed is not easily misunderstood.

Like one neighbour, that had got several quantities of jam, turned up at our back door one afternoon, clutching a 6-pack of eggs(they sell eggs, or did then ), spoke to me about sommat, did not return any pots, and left still clutching the 6-pack of eggs?

Was I meant to offer him money for the eggs?

That particular incident has perplexed me ever since.

Another neighbour did bring round eggs, but only by way of an apology for near shooting me with a .243!

13 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I just went to price a garden job and decided why I was there I'd remove the scraggly little tree hiding behind her greenhouse..  she lives down the road from my house..  

Gave me four pound fifty for my troubles..   I told her I didn't want owt bar the cup of coffee but she insisted I get paid... 

You're a shrewd fella...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1