Stihl ms 461 compared to 462

Svts

Anybody any experience of the above saws. 461 has been my felling saw of choice for a few years now. would like to upgrade to the 462 when funds allow. Other than the weight saving how do they compare performance wise. Thanks 

462 revs it nuts off very quick up to speed a little more power and a touch lighter, if it was a saw i had in my hands all day but i dont i would go 462 over 461 due to weight if i needed a saw of that size for the job in hand, if it was,nt needed i would just pick 261 up, got 2 461 and yes they seem to be a decent saw and you can fix them yourself, if your using it every day all day weight is an issue but if its just now and then why not stick with what you know, ebay was swamped with 461s about a month ago i ended up with a 10 month old 461 that had not had 5ltrs of fuel through it for £400 and it was very local but the guy had to have the 462 as it was a new toy,, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I drop down to 550xp if on smaller stuff. Seem to be cutting more Ash with a good smattering of chunkier stuff amongst it. Used to step up to 361 but they've all got old now. So gave the 461 a go and found the extra grunt and a slightly longer bar than I would've used made up for the extra weight. Was going to go 560xp but 462 would mean one roll of chain would do all my saws and bars would be interchangeable. Thanks for your thoughts

• Like 1

Ive used both, 461 runs a longer bar better but does have the extra CCs also will be better built than the 462 but heavier. Stihl did go all out on the weight saving in the 462 to make it a lighter saw but with that comes problems,  the top cover is single piece and will break from a light strike also the rear handle/trigger area is fixed by a prong mechanism and has come apart in my hands lots which has lead to wear in the throttle assembly as its a series of rods and pivots rather than a cable.

462 is a really good saw, Ive cut hardwood and softwood with for a year now and you just have to be a bit carefull with it whereas the 461 was a solid unit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes 461 has proved to be a solid saw. There is a tidy looking used one fairly local on the bay for 450 which seems tempting. But the weight saving might swing it as don't need to use it at max bar length. Will have to wait a bit longer now as other breakdowns have knackered cashflow. 

No experience of the 462 and 500....yet but the MS461...for the record has a conventional piston and cylinder with a few strange quirks like a strange raised yoke that goes inside the piston at the bottom of the stroke and is some sort of strato system. The lower transfers are at the front of the saw so benefit from the rotation of the crank and a slimmer cylinder. The saw follows much from the design of the 460 and if looked after, will last 10 years + and has the benefit of a conventional carb and normal adjusters. It also shares the crank from the 460!

The saw is also pokey and relatively easy to work on. I have repaired a few and ported another few - seemed well received.

It just depends what sort of person you are, some of my customers still covet their 044 and 046s. Try to borrow a 462 for the day and see if it lives up to expectations!

• Thanks 1

Yes i can understand keeping the older saws in use. I've been keeping the 361's going a good few years past there sell by date now. Did message you about getting them zipped up a bit. But started using the 461 for much of my work and not sure I want to go back to the 60cc saws. Got a bit of time to mull it over as skint for the moment !

No experience of the 462 and 500....yet but the MS461...for the record has a conventional piston and cylinder with a few strange quirks like a strange raised yoke that goes inside the piston at the bottom of the stroke and is some sort of strato system. The lower transfers are at the front of the saw so benefit from the rotation of the crank and a slimmer cylinder. The saw follows much from the design of the 460 and if looked after, will last 10 years + and has the benefit of a conventional carb and normal adjusters. It also shares the crank from the 460!
The saw is also pokey and relatively easy to work on. I have repaired a few and ported another few - seemed well received.
It just depends what sort of person you are, some of my customers still covet their 044 and 046s. Try to borrow a 462 for the day and see if it lives up to expectations!

Would you rate 461 above the 460?

Ah, now there is the question, I fix them, make them go faster, make them Sccrrreeeaaaammmmmm but others use them!

I rarely use my creations as I only cut wood for my burner and do a very small amount of emergency clearance in the village if people want it - last one was a big old hung bough from a cedar, gave me the willies, a real cut and leg it job, fell bang on as I wanted it:thumbup: If it had fallen on me, I was appropriately, in the local graveyard so officially on Gods work who must have been smiling on me that day;)

I have done a few of each, all are still running, even the 461 that smashed its piston so I popped a cheapo in it and it is still working well. Did one for a forestry guy (461) and it is his fave now....I think the 460 is possibly easier to work on but is marginal.

• Like 2