Gamechangers in the industry

Mick Dempsey

Rob D’s thread got me thinking about devices and techniques that have appeared and then become the standard, leaving the competition to catch up.

I believe the little Echo is one of them, so light you have to check it hasn’t dropped off, but poky enough for most TDs. The 201 is like dragging a breeze block around now, judging by the vids and pics on social media it’s becoming the trim saw of choice.

The Timberwolf/Entec 150: I remember the first time I saw one of these in action, I was using a 25hp Arboreater at the time and thought I was something. Then I worked with a mate who had bought one around 95ish and it blew me away. You could push it around like a pram and yet some real performance, I bought one soon after and for the other marques it was catchup time (edit, that was probably a bit later on reflection, turn of the century maybe)

Anyone else? Saws, climbing devices, clothing?

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

Theres loads! I'll carry on with a couple

Pfanner chainsaw trousers. I believe these were the first trousers to move away from the conventional materials used previously. It wasn't long before all manufacturers caught on and started using the same (or copy of) the stretchy rip stop type fabric. Probably the first real evolution in chainsaw trousers since the first ones came out.

ART Ropeguide. An absolutely massive advance. Previously I had been using a regular cambiums saver with a pulley attached to the small ring by a pear-shaped mallion. This made for a retrievable cambium saver with slightly less friction that a standard setup. The ART ropeguide changed this for the first time introducing entirely frictionless climbing and added years onto my elbow joints. Theres been several adapatations since by ART, and also other companies, but the ART still wins hands down, even in the form of the mark 1 version I would go as fas as to say.

Petzl Zigzag. Not the first mechanical friction device on the market by any means, but in my opinion it is the first one to truly mimic the actions of a hitch cord. I believe anyone can go straight onto using one of these and feel instantly at home. Unlike the ART Lockjack and Spyderjack, there really isn't any learning curve when it comes to controlling the friction, it just works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

Theres loads! I'll carry on with a couple

Pfanner chainsaw trousers. I believe these were the first trousers to move away from the conventional materials used previously. It wasn't long before all manufacturers caught on and started using the same (or copy of) the stretchy rip stop type fabric. Probably the first real evolution in chainsaw trousers since the first ones came out.

ART Ropeguide. An absolutely massive advance. Previously I had been using a regular cambiums saver with a pulley attached to the small ring by a pear-shaped mallion. This made for a retrievable cambium saver with slightly less friction that a standard setup. The ART ropeguide changed this for the first time introducing entirely frictionless climbing and added years onto my elbow joints. Theres been several adapatations since by ART, and also other companies, but the ART still wins hands down, even in the form of the mark 1 version I would go as fas as to say.

Petzl Zigzag. Not the first mechanical friction device on the market by any means, but in my opinion it is the first one to truly mimic the actions of a hitch cord. I believe anyone can go straight onto using one of these and feel instantly at home. Unlike the ART Lockjack and Spyderjack, there really isn't any learning curve when it comes to controlling the friction, it just works.

I second the Pfanner strides . The " fronts only " with the zip vents are another world away from wearing a sleeping bag on each leg .

• Like 1