Pattern Parts for Stihl

aesmith

Hi,

I was wondering, in general, which parts if any people would be happy replacing with third party, and which you'd say definitely stick with genuine Stihl.  Also any recommended suppliers.  Last time I bought bits I used an Ebay seller by the name of blindstickinsect, also trading as "Mister Solutions" but the seem to have disappeared.

I'm writing this after trying a third party fuel pipe, and finding it completely useless.  I don't know if I was unlucky with the supplier or whether it was just a bad idea in the first place.  On the other hand the impulse hose and the oil pipe on my MS180 both seem perfectly fine.

Thanks,  Tony S

1 hour ago, aesmith said:

On the other hand the impulse hose and the oil pipe on my MS180 both seem perfectly fine.

Probably come out of the same factory anyway, the MS 180 is a Chinese made saw as well.  Think their Zama Carb factory is in China too if I remember correctly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aesmith said:

Last time I bought bits I used an Ebay seller by the name of blindstickinsect, also trading as "Mister Solutions" but the seem to have disappeared.

He now trades as tree_and_grass_spares still has plenty of stuff on for sale not all for chainsaws these days. I've had carbs, carb kits, pistons and other parts from various sellers and had no problems. Not had problems with OEM stuff either. Garden hire spares and the like are good for saw spares

Edited by peatff
  • Like 2

If I'd looked properly at the pictures I'd have seen differences in the fuel pipe - particularly that the corrugations don't extend right to the end.  Maybe not so apparent that it's a bit longer either. However without hindsight I might not have guessed that these would make the hose kink and flatten at the carb inlet and therefore completely useless.

s-l500.jpg

11213587700_1.jpg

Edited by aesmith

• 11 months later...

I would be careful buying copied fuel pipes. I have seen many a cheap machine with melted and degraded fuel pipes after less than a years use. Surely the cost saving must be tiny on a cheap part like that?

Ime I would only use non oem parts on a machine that was more or less destined for the scrap bin, seen far too many dodgy coils and carbs to wonder if it's worth it. Except for maybe the good quality piston/cylinder kits available.

• 2 months later...
On 12/06/2020 at 19:35, spudulike said:

Fuel lines...OEM only, the AM ones can kink and cause restriction in flow!

Exactly what happened.  In fact I put the old fuel line back, the saw was in bits to replace the impulse line and I thought I'd do the fuel line while I was at it.  Will pick up a genuine part next time I'm ordering from LS or passing the local chainsaw place.

• Like 1