Stihl 044 Top end question

Ds Tree services

I gave £100 for mine and it cost a piston and base gasket and a carb kit to fix it. I treated it to a Wartech bar and chains from eBay as well, the bar is ok but the chains were dubious. It's got a Northern Arb Rotatech chain on now, works well and not dear.

• Like 1

Not 100% sure if i have a genuine gasket set kicking around for it or not, cant remember [emoji849][emoji848] defo got a 460 gasket set. Be a ghs kit if not. Used a wartec chain myself once, chain was really savage and jumped all over, barely got in to a good cut, i didnt gel with it at all so i binned it. Bought a couple of rotatech chains to try and found them ok, but just use stihl chains now all time, unless i’m delving in to a hedge or a stump or sumthing i know will cause issue, so then i’ll use rotatechs. Bought myself a ultrasonic cleaner a bit back on advice of spud, so will get then up and running soon as i’ve got mancave finished.

MS460 gasket is fair bit bigger, I got one a while back and the whole saw is a piece larger than the 044 which is more like my 036 in size. I only use cheap chains because the wood we cut is rough stuff covered in soil sometimes and has been known to contain wire at times. :D

Edited by peatff
  • Like 1

Obviously there's the 4 holes to bolt the head down the 5th one is the breather in question it would also need the lugs to mount the brown thing and just to confirm the saw is a 1994 044c.

Hope this helps.. 

20190627_165406.thumb.jpg.cd703172fbc40ce9468c579cf605c77c.jpg

20190627_165413.thumb.jpg.1f488fdd8b09be657a752e6250596b06.jpg

Pretty sure that 5 th hole is the impulse. If you blow down it, it should connect with the carb, either through that pipe or via a hole the carb boot.

I have never seen a saw without an impulse like, designs vary but they are and essential part of the engine. It may be stihl changed the design. I.e later 044 have a direct impulse into carb via boot on later cylinders or something.

I agree with earlier comments through, I think with no impulse your saw wouldnt be running for a while then stopping, it would be obvious from the start.

Have a good look at the various exploded diagrams and you should be able to see what the craic is with impulse lines on different year 044s

Good luck

I have sent a few emails I probably need to find someone that has some old stock.

Looking at the old cylinder it's gone through the crome plating on the exhaust side, I'd say the chance of cleaning it up would be slim.

The rest of the saw it in excellent condition and I love running it hopefully someone will carry the part and she'll be back to work.. 

Mine was seized solid when I got it I had to beat the piston with a rod after I poured penetrating oil down the plug hole and stood it overnight. I was doubtful about the cylinder when I cleaned it up and just put a cheap eBay piston in it but it has been perfect since. It has no decompression and is a 12mm pin model with manual choke, runs well.
044.jpg.251c5235c665ca1963d3f15dead35649.jpg
Has nobody picked up on the beautiful "pouring penetrating oil down the hole then beating it with a rod" yet? I thought all you guys were quicker than that! :-P