Stihl MS 181C - easy start model

cfam

Greetings Arborists,

This forum came by a recommendation.  My problem is my chainsaw, Stihl  MS181C, won't start.  A web search shows this to be a well-documented problem for a range of chainsaws, both homeowners and professional, and solutions are offered.  Take for granted that prior to winter the chainsaw was cleaned, oil topped up and fuel removed.  Earlier this year (a) checked and cleaned the air filter, (b) replaced the spark plug with a new one, (c) fuel filter and fuel line look in good condition and (d) I am using Stihl's own, expensive, fuel mix. (e) I would note that the muffler does not contain a gauze, so nothing to clean. 

Rather than trying to describe the starting problems I made a video clip showing the problem, sometimes a more experienced person can diagnose a problem from the sound of the engine. which can be viewed or downloaded from my dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfz1de8ftyj59ln/MS181C.mp4?dl=0 . I have followed the guidance in the user manual with regard to tuning the carburetor but the chainsaw still cuts out when switched to idle.  So now I am at an impasse since I am lacking knowledge and experience. 

Before I take this device to a repair shop is there anything else that I can do or I have missed? As I am currently unemployed, where feasible I would rather try to do the repair myself, provided no special or expensive tools are required. 

I'll check back on Friday, the next two days will be spent collecting some logs.

Regards,

CF

It sounds like you are priming the carb, the saw is starting to run on that prime and then no further fuel is getting to the carb.

Two things I would check, the carb gauze strainer and also the needle metering arm height - sometimes I have had to raise metering arms a bit higher than standard to get the carb to work especially on Stihl blowers but don't go too mad - 0.5mm more than normal will do it.

You could prime the carb, start the saw and then strip the carb and this will tell you which section of the carb has run dry on fuel. If there I plenty top (Pump) and bottom (Metering), it is unlikely to be the carb.

Greetings All,

Thank you for your replies.

So my plan of action is as follows:

1.  check that the upper butterfly on the carb isn't stuck in the open position (Lurkalot).

2.  set the screws to the recommendation and turn the idle screw in to speed it up. Get it warmed up then turn the idle down till the chain stops running.  In answer to the question, I live near Tiverton in Devon (peatff).

3.  checking the carburetor (spudulike).  This looks like a more complex task, so I will check out some youtube videos before I attempt this task.

Sadly Steve's recommendation, while I appreciate the sentiment what's done is done.  I've already had a play with carburetor settings, as indicated in the user guide.  Although when it comes to DIY there are limits to what I am prepared to do.

Probably spend the next couple of days working on this problem.  Fortunately, my electric chainsaw is still working.

Regards,

cfam