2015 Ms181 Non Start - at my wits end!

Darkslider

1 hour ago, bmp01 said:

Yay, nice one. ... and thanks for info...

A good way to diagnose a faulty carb, coil, plug etc is to swap in a known (or tested) good one from a correctly running saw, even a new untested part gives a degree of uncertainty.

Not an easy thing to do with a carb though, so usually its a drop of fuel or 'easy start' down the intake and see if it fires.... then go through the fuel system, cheapest / easiest bits first.

Glad you got it sorted. 

No problem, pleased I did reply, looks like the pitchforks were getting sharpened ? Didn't try any easy start, the plug was wet after a few pulls so there was obviously fuel getting through to the cylinder, maybe it was over fuelling and flooding the second you tried to start it on choke? Either way if a Stihl main dealer can fit a carb kit for £40 all in its obviously cheap enough to be worth a go for any DIYers with the same problem.

1 hour ago, Darkslider said:

No problem, pleased I did reply, looks like the pitchforks were getting sharpened ? Didn't try any easy start, the plug was wet after a few pulls so there was obviously fuel getting through to the cylinder, maybe it was over fuelling and flooding the second you tried to start it on choke? Either way if a Stihl main dealer can fit a carb kit for £40 all in its obviously cheap enough to be worth a go for any DIYers with the same problem.

Bugger the carb kit, drop in a Chinese carb for £15.

26 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Glad it is sorted, we are always interested in what the issue ended up being just to double check how good we actually are. Carb issues make up around 75% of the issues saws tend to have when not running or running badly.

.... Yr wrong there. Crap maintenance makes 75% of saw problems. K

Just now, Khriss said:

.... Yr wrong there. Crap maintenance makes 75% of saw problems. K

Come on now, what preventative maintenance can one actually do on a saw? Not a lot other than clean the filter. Chainsaws generally work until something fails, and there’s not you can do beforehand to prevent that. 

The only regular maintenance I do is to sharpen the chains and dress the bars. 

1 minute ago, doobin said:

Come on now, what preventative maintenance can one actually do on a saw? Not a lot other than clean the filter. Chainsaws generally work until something fails, and there’s not you can do beforehand to prevent that. 

I would blow both tanks out once a month, grease my sprocket bearing weekly. Change plug 6months. Clean saw thoroughly every month. Change fuel filter every 6months. My saws seem to run fr yrs Oddly. K

2 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I would blow both tanks out once a month, grease my sprocket bearing weekly. Change plug 6months. Clean saw thoroughly every month. Change fuel filter every 6months. My saws seem to run fr yrs Oddly. K

Grease your sprocket, run it for a few hours and take it off again. Dry as a bone. Total waste of time imho. 

Anybody who thinks preventive maintenance is a waste is the dealers delight, many issue can be sorted before they become very expensive issues, replacing fuel filters before they lean mixtures off, checking clutches and sprockets before the explode and destroy pumps and covers, cleaning starter cover grills to stop over heating, tightening external nuts and bolts, before the muffler falls off.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, doobin said:

So whipping the covers off and cleaning the covers and engine, cleaning the outside of the saw, checking the sprocket rim, making sure the tank is clear of chip, the chain brake works and that nothing is falling off isn't worthwhile? I get fed up with getting saws in that are shagged, knackered, unloved and generally buggered with the owner thinking all it needs is a port job and this will make up for 5 years lack of maintenance.

I think some owners should wake up and realise that these tools make their living and a little TLC is needed on a regular basis! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1