justice system wrong or right??

Robert_S

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade are all out on this thread. I can see this isn't going to be popular, but I don't agree with the attitudes here. Sorry, but it's just stuff. Sure, you maybe worked hard for that stuff and are fond of it and stroke it before you put it to bed at night, but it's still just stuff. I don't think it's worth inflicting physical harm on anyone for the sake of stuff.

There are reasons we don't let victims of crimes decide the punishment in this country. I've bet you've all speeded. Two to three thousand people are killed every year on the roads, and thousands of people maimed and disabled. What if we let them and their grieving relatives decide the punishment for speeding? You'd probably get a custodial sentence for doing 60 in a 40mph zone. Thankfully we don't allow people who've just been victimised to set the punishments in this country (I'm sure it's done in some tribal cultures still) because what they do is come up with something completely disproportionate to the crime.

Even if you believe in the philosophy of 'an eye for an eye' then taking stuff should just be punished with taking stuff, not with physical punishment. But a guy called Jesus disagreed with the harshness of 'an eye for an eye' about two thousand years ago. I'm not religious, but I think he had some good ideas sometimes, and I for one am glad that our society is more based on Christian ideas than Sharia law.

Also, I bet at least half of you have fiddled your tax sometimes, probably to the tune of more than the value of a chainsaw. That's stealing too. Should we imprison people for a few grand's worth of tax evasion? I don't think so because I think it would be disproportionate - but we should be consistent y'know...

I'm not saying, btw, that the law always gets things right. Sometimes the sentences may be too light, because the guy had a good lawyer or whatever. But what people are proposing here isn't a solution to that problem, it's a completely different legal system which would create a very different society - one that I wouldn't want to live in any more than I'd want to live in Saudi Arabia.

I'm not that keen on Islam, but you got to admit it, sharia law seems very appealing!!

What a ridiculous comment, if you understood Sharia law you would very quickly change your above statement.

I take it your not a Muslim Lee, its a shame that because if Sharia law is in place you would lose your head, whats that noise Lee at the bottom of your road waking you up at 5ish evey morning, oh its the compulsary Mosque that overides planning laws.....

Lee i could go on and i suggest you research this before making the comment again, this would have deep impacts for the UK...........

Edited by Arborist Sites

I get quite annoyed when watching the news or these police programs that show wrong ones getting away with stuff with not even a slapped hand.

Paradise has made some excellent comments above, i am big on forgiveness, i know many people who are very bitter over little things and its them who suffer......

Forgiveness is a wonderful thing, if you are bitter about something and to be honest it sounds like many are give forgiveness a try :001_smile:

a friend of mine worked on this case & all is not as it seems in the press

after dragging the intruder to the ground in the street both the man & his brother hit him in the head with the bat.

The defence was poor & the defendent made every mistake going when he made his poliece statement/interview & then in court, if he had ran a better defence he may have stood a chance. "as my client ran down the street after the intruder my client continued to fear for his & his families life perceiving the intruder to be collecting a weapon, as he dragged him to the ground the intruder reached repeadedly into his trousers which my client perceived etc. etc."

intruders have been shot dead or injured by home owners in the uk, whilst (arguably) fleeing the property un-armed & no charges have been brought upon the home owner! but taht doesn't sellnewspapers!

know the law, knowlege is power

SPOT ON.

While you all keep going on about the Police, remember the Police only enforce the law. Many PC's (foot soldiers at the sharp end) are VERY frustrated at how their hands are tied.

A lot of old bill join young after doing a year at McDonalds and then become trapped in the job that they end up hating because there is very little else they can do for the same money and by this time they have mortgages like the rest of us.

Some who join later in life after getting a trade are able to say "Bollox to this, I resign"

I know loads that would leave................. if they could.

Jellystock.

Paradise has made some excellent comments above, i am big on forgiveness, i know many people who are very bitter over little things and its them who suffer......

Forgiveness is a wonderful thing, if you are bitter about something and to be honest it sounds like many are give forgiveness a try :001_smile:

forgiveness is all well and good when a genuine apology is forthcoming.....i dont think you'll find in most cases, certainly pertaining to this thread at least, that it would be

forgiveness is all well and good when a genuine apology is forthcoming.....i dont think you'll find in most cases, certainly pertaining to this thread at least, that it would be

What i am saying Steve is all bitterness does is ruin yourself, best just to be the better man, forgive and move on with your life rather than keeping it inside building up....

I have seen many people ruined by this and its such a shame :thumbdown:

Wow, the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade are all out on this thread. I can see this isn't going to be popular, but I don't agree with the attitudes here. Sorry, but it's just stuff. Sure, you maybe worked hard for that stuff and are fond of it and stroke it before you put it to bed at night, but it's still just stuff. I don't think it's worth inflicting physical harm on anyone for the sake of stuff.

There are reasons we don't let victims of crimes decide the punishment in this country. I've bet you've all speeded. Two to three thousand people are killed every year on the roads, and thousands of people maimed and disabled. What if we let them and their grieving relatives decide the punishment for speeding? You'd probably get a custodial sentence for doing 60 in a 40mph zone. Thankfully we don't allow people who've just been victimised to set the punishments in this country (I'm sure it's done in some tribal cultures still) because what they do is come up with something completely disproportionate to the crime.

Even if you believe in the philosophy of 'an eye for an eye' then taking stuff should just be punished with taking stuff, not with physical punishment. But a guy called Jesus disagreed with the harshness of 'an eye for an eye' about two thousand years ago. I'm not religious, but I think he had some good ideas sometimes, and I for one am glad that our society is more based on Christian ideas than Sharia law.

Also, I bet at least half of you have fiddled your tax sometimes, probably to the tune of more than the value of a chainsaw. That's stealing too. Should we imprison people for a few grand's worth of tax evasion? I don't think so because I think it would be disproportionate - but we should be consistent y'know...

I can see where you're coming from but there's very different levels of stealing - tax evasion is stealing but this is totally different from breaking into someone's home and stealing IMO.

I don't think you can lump them into the same thing.

Unfortunetly there are so many variables and different circumstances with crime you have to judge each case on its own individual merit which I suppose they try to do.... but of course this doesn't always work.

But you should be allowed to defend your own property at the time of a breakin without fear of prosecution.

:001_rolleyes:

What i am saying Steve is all bitterness does is ruin yourself, best just to be the better man, forgive and move on with your life rather than keeping it inside building up....

I have seen many people ruined by this and its such a shame :thumbdown:

I'm not a Christian and don't believe in the Bible as such but the idea for forgiveness is the only one that works.

If you don't forgive someone then you're going to carry the hate with you the rest of your life - the only way you'll move on is if you forgive.... you don't do it for them you do it for yourself.

All very nice words but with many crimes not sure if I could forgive.....