Stihl 024 bar movement

owain038

19 minutes ago, owain038 said:
20 minutes ago, bmp01 said:
Seems like it. ...
I don't believe the bar thickness has anything to do with it.  If I take the bar off my 260 and just put the cover on the gap between clamping faces is approx 3 mm, just sliding it on.
Ditto the studs,  the stud collar is below the face of the bar.
Turn the cover through 180 degrees and see if it goes on.  If not why not? 

Unfortunately turning the cover fouls the bar before you can begin tightening down.

Without the bar, pop the cover on by hand, just want to see if the studs catch on anything.  

This could run and run. Not sure using a screwdriver and box spanner is good enough and he sure doesn't look that beefy.

I would have thought if you cranked a plastic cover down hard, it would just bend if it was catching on the outer edges.

I would also estimate that if this saw was on my bench, I would get to the bottom of it in minutes, perhaps seconds as would probably many others!

This could run and run. Not sure using a screwdriver and box spanner is good enough and he sure doesn't look that beefy.
I would have thought if you cranked a plastic cover down hard, it would just bend if it was catching on the outer edges.
I would also estimate that if this saw was on my bench, I would get to the bottom of it in minutes, perhaps seconds as would probably many others!

Forgive me but I feel if you are getting out the breaker bar to tighten down your bar nuts you have bigger issues.
I know there's something not right here and rather than tighten it till something else breaks or another issue arises I want to fix it properly. This isn't my first saw on the bench.
I'm delighted to hear how quickly you'd fix it. Congrats

Generally I use a decent scwrench done up with a good amount of force or a 1' socket and bar for some larger saws I am returning to customers with a bar attached.

I have no idea of your experience and knowledge hence trying to help but think I will dive out of it from here on!

Few ideas maybe-
Using a feeler gauge between the cover and bar you can investigate where the clamp force goes
Cut the middle out of the old plastic cover so you just have the clamping area and can try it both ways round.
Put some washers onto the studs before the cover, or between nut and cover, to vary what touches first.