Addvise thoughts welcomed

spuddog0507

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Just a suggestion, maybe cripple cut the smaller one, walk out of the danger zone, then fell the bigger one, with a no barberchair cut of your choice.

Hi Mick,

What's a cripple cut? I presume it is a partial cut that would leave it standing until the bigger one is brought down on top.

cheers,

jan.

It looks to me as if the crowns are interlocked but not enough for the small to be providing a lot of support to the big, so I'm with Steve on the bigger one would stay up and fell the small one first. Line in just in case it needs a tug. I can see the skittle would work but not sure I'd have the nerve and there is more chance of a nasty mess to sort out when it all lands.

Other thought looks like a MO and big chipper job, lot of weight to shift around.

15 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Still one of the gutsiest fells I have seen at 4 minutes, sorry for the quality, this is an old vid.

@Andy Collins doing the fell

thas a lot of concentration right there!   I reckon that kind of sketchy work is safe to do but the brain power and energy used just to carefully work it all out  and execute each cut so the 'big game of Jenga' doesn't go badly wrong is immense. @Al Cormack this video above is very very similar to that job i did for Jon manning up in Somerset a few months ago (yes the one where i was moaning about pricing it badly and not having brought in a crane or MEWP!)  I followed the same procedure but only put a gob cut into the Lime tree that was supporting the other failed one and then i used my Tirfor to fell/pull the 'holding tree' 90 degrees to the side.  It worked perfectly and it was a very wet but exciting day out in a neighbouring county.

• Like 2