Brittany. France

s o c

I’m in Morzine at a mega forestry show (les Cognees) and my cousin (who lives here) is in the process of having a wind blown spruce cleared up (with perfect access, you can get any vehicle you want to the tree) and it is costing 3000 euros. Is all French tree work crazy money?! 

I could genuinely do the job and save him money commuting from the Uk!!!

• Haha 1

I’m in Morzine at a mega forestry show (les Cognees) and my cousin (who lives here) is in the process of having a wind blown spruce cleared up (with perfect access, you can get any vehicle you want to the tree) and it is costing 3000 euros. Is all French tree work crazy money?! 

French taxes are crazy [emoji106]
  • Like 3

Well, nothing stopping your cousin getting other quotes though perhaps the €3k was the lowest bid.

I've just re-counted the last 50 job sheets.

10% are Brits living over 100km away

90% French and are within 30km

French pay prices that make Brits eyes water and cost significantly less in travel costs and time.

Brits are often retired on fixed incomes tied to uncertain and changing exchange rates.

Or... renovating and budget concious.

A few Brits of course are insulated by wealth, these fish are rare in Brittany.

Regardless, all declared income is subject to high social charges levied on every euro of profit at around 40% plus income tax and a local business tax based on turnover.

Employing, we are advised to charge out at 3 times to cover the high social charges and unemployment insurances.

Yes, our prices may look high but they are in fact quite modest given the outgoings and risks associated with employing.

Accountants typically charge €3k-€7k for a vat reg. 2-3 man outfit depending on turnover.

My French speaking wife is the business owner and an accountant so a great saving in admin.

I don't advise anyone moving to the West of Brittany, it is already well served with Brit arbs serving the Brit community and none of them turning over much more than €30k before taxes.

My advice if you fancy a bit of French living is to choose to be near a city, learn French and work for the locals.

I could do with another decent climber, family man ideally for stability, moving within commuting distance of Rennes.

Stuart

11 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I googled that show, sounds awesome! 9 hours from here unfortunately 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s o c said:

I suppose if it was simple it would be overrun with Uk and paddies trying to escape the dampness.

what are the winters like?

Brittany, mild and damp yet drier than UK in the East and equally as wet in the West. Summers can be scorchers. 33c-35c predicted here from Monday. I've 2 more days work ahead of me (without saw pants) before I'm off for a month or so.

Stuart

Mint show - my phone died so didn’t get many pics but the French run some proper kit and this event is based around a skidder race. It makes the APF demos look like a women’s institute lunch!

FD0BE370-54F6-454B-B8C6-819C1C2742F2.thumb.jpeg.678286e8cb5d579b5d53ce7725b1dec5.jpeg

Today we went to a motorbike hill-climb called ‘Impossible Mountain’ - Mad Max machines with nitrous oxide and tyres with massive spikes trying to get to the top of a hill you genuinely wouldn’t walk up. They had a forestry skyline rigged to get the bikes that failed (99% of them) back down. Proper redneck stuff - best trip ever! 967E3F90-B283-4A91-83D1-9515A24AC54E.thumb.jpeg.9b0e2b2caa8fa1d1d7a610bb2e120cab.jpeg

• Like 5