Chainsaw Carvers - what is your chain of choice on Q tip bars?

Rob D

On the Dime Tip bars everyone seems to use the Stihl carving chain 3661-13RMS Stihl Carving Micro Chisel 1/4 .050

But what is the choice most use on Quarter Tip bars? We are working on new carving leaflets and to make it easier will have x1 chain on offer - what do you reckon works best?

On 21/06/2019 at 20:51, wisewood said:

Hi Rob,

I use 3/8 lo pro on my quarter tips and toonies. Probably down to being the easiest option for me as I can run both lo pro and standard 3/8 on my bigger saws if needs be without any hassle 

Thanks Si - I should have been more specific - which lo pro do you run and why?

Lo Pro options.PNG

Rob, without looking at my reel at the yard , I would fairly confidently say I use Oregon 91VXL for my carving bars( quarter tips and toonies )

Reasons for buying 

It’s readily available 

its fairly cheap 

i would say on the whole I’m very happy with it. The only gripe I have is that for the narrower radius quarter tips the cutter is a little too long and I end up grinding more cutter heel off than I would with a shorter cutter length. I know the L in VXL means longer and in normal use it would be a benefit having more tooth to sharpen.

I also use it for milling (42” lo pro bar on Stihl 066)

re-profiled for milling.

only reason- I had existing reel of it.

If I were to buy more loops just for milling I would be interested in lo pro skip chain if such a chain exists?

Thanks Si.

I'd love to get some skip link lo pro chain particularly as we have some 64" lo pro milling bars on route (oh did I just say that silly me!)

In the pipeline is some .325 .050 skip ripping chain... but we are still not quite the size we need to be to really get the big players to make chain for us.

The thinner the chain the less it seems you need to alter the angle - I have used the 91vxl as it is for milling and it gives a lovely self feed cut in the vertical plane. Not used it on longer bars than 25"..

49 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Thanks Si.

I'd love to get some skip link lo pro chain particularly as we have some 64" lo pro milling bars on route (oh did I just say that silly me!)

In the pipeline is some .325 .050 skip ripping chain... but we are still not quite the size we need to be to really get the big players to make chain for us.

The thinner the chain the less it seems you need to alter the angle - I have used the 91vxl as it is for milling and it gives a lovely self feed cut in the vertical plane. Not used it on longer bars than 25"..

64” lo pro bars ???

What are these designed to run on?

ms661? ms880? 

Is there an increase in flex or bowing within the cut ?

1 hour ago, wisewood said:

64” lo pro bars ???

What are these designed to run on?

ms661? ms880? 

Is there an increase in flex or bowing within the cut ?

I don't know - it's a first! They're designed for a mill with MS880 mount - I'll test them first. The powerhead will take out any bowing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rob D said:

I don't know - it's a first! They're designed for a mill with MS880 mount - I'll test them first. The powerhead will take out any bowing.

Look forward to seeing/hearing the your take on these 

6 hours ago, wisewood said:

Look forward to seeing/hearing the your take on these 

Yep :)

A question - why not use .325 .050 on Q tip bars? Most saws used already have a .325 drive sprocket...