Breakdown of invoice!

eggsarascal

On the other hand Eggs, and I am not suggesting you do it, but since we built ourselves a right big slap of a house in its own field(no fancy motors though)

I have noted that some tradespersons choose to adjust their prices to what they mug/imagine market will bear, based on their subjective client wealth assumptions.

Our first experience of this was a window cleaner, who should have been a multi millionaire at his effective hourly rate.

2nd was the bloke that hung the wallpaper.

There have been a few others, though in all honesty remarkedly few.

But it means some of the wealthy have got burned or heard the stories, and are therefore defensive.

A bit like a nervous apprehensive dog being more likely to bite.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, difflock said:

On the other hand Eggs, and I am not suggesting you do it, but since we built ourselves a right big slap of a house in its own field(no fancy motors though)

I have noted that some tradespersons choose to adjust their prices to what they mug/imagine market will bear, based on their subjective client wealth assumptions.

Our first experience of this was a window cleaner, who should have been a multi millionaire at his effective hourly rate.

2nd was the bloke that hung the wallpaper.

There have been a few others, though in all honesty remarkedly few.

But it means some of the wealthy have got burned or heard the stories, and are therefore defensive.

A bit like a nervous apprehensive dog being more likely to bite.

He had my rates over the phone before I'd seen the house, so he knew where he stood before I darkened his doorstep. he wanted a ballpark figure over the phone which I couldn't do without seeing the job that's the reason it was done on an hourly rate plus travel.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

When they want a ballpark or ‘how much to cut a tree?’ Over the phone, they’ve usually had a load of quotes. 

I usually tell them straight away that I will not be the cheapest but will do the job properly and to beware of very low quotes with poor work/safety/iffy insurance cover etc.

Seems to deter at least some of the time wasters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, s o c said:

When they want a ballpark or ‘how much to cut a tree?’ Over the phone, they’ve usually had a load of quotes. 

I usually tell them straight away that I will not be the cheapest but will do the job properly and to beware of very low quotes with poor work/safety/iffy insurance cover etc.

Seems to deter at least some of the time wasters.

Pumps and drainage don't work like that, the first visit is often on an hourly rate, or fixed price for a domestic blocked drain. If any further works are required they will be done on a price when I jknow what i'm up against, and if parts are required.

Edit: This is on emergency work when the customer needs someone out within a few hours.

Edited by eggsarascal

1 hour ago, doobin said:

All you had to do was write- 'Attend site, fix blocked pipe. X hours at £XX, XX miles each way at £X/mile. Total- £XXX

If you didn't have the common courtesy to do this, then I'm not surprised he asked for a breakdown.

Yes, can't see the fuss. It's exactly what we do and why would you not break it down on the invoice?

Let me explain the situation, I got there at 12:00 and left at 16:00 @£50/hour, the customer was not just at home he was out in his garden with me for the duration. The total invoice was for £240. If anyone needs that breaking down they can go to someone else next time they want a drainage job sorting. Come on it isn't difficult 4 x £50, how much did the travel cost?

Awkward more no good reason.

21 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Yes, can't see the fuss. It's exactly what we do and why would you not break it down on the invoice?

Agree I always break an invoice down as saves them asking! If they quibble after that then it’s more of a a case of distrust! In eggs case though and for such a self explanatory small invoice I can’t really see what the customer hopes to achieve.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Agree I always break an invoice down as saves them asking! If they quibble after that then it’s more of a a case of distrust! In eggs case though and for such a self explanatory small invoice I can’t really see what the customer hopes to achieve.

You say it's self-explanatory but I have had guys here working with me but I don't clock their hours I just trust them to do that. I can completely lose track of time when working at home. Doing an itemised invoice to please the customer is a small price to pay if you can earn £50 an hour.

• Like 1