Breakdown of invoice!

eggsarascal

There's always one. I put an invoice into a customer yesterday and get an email asking for a breakdown, he knew my rate and that I charge mileage, he knew how long I was on site so should know what it's going to cost. He's paid but it pisses me off. Rant over.

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

There's always one. I put an invoice into a customer yesterday and get an email asking for a breakdown, he knew my rate and that I charge mileage, he knew how long I was on site so should know what it's going to cost. He's paid but it pisses me off. Rant over.

I really don't see a problem with that when you charge hourly (sounds like you did there?). You should put the hours and mileage on the invoice, it's only polite. If you put a chainsaw in for a repair and they gave it back and just said 'fixed, £230 plus VAT please', I bet you'd complain.

What boils my piss is when they ask for a breakdown (of the price) of a quoted job, or a quote for a job.

Edited by doobin

I don't see how it's any of their business. If you charged what you quoted for then what difference does it make to them if they are happy with the work. 

They have paid for the job, your time on it, your intellectually property, your dead hours running a business doing god knows what for no money, bank charges, the electricity used to run the pc, printer ink, advertising and marketing, insurance, vehicle maintenance, tyre wear and tear, machinery, depreciation of investments, training, etcetera....

Tell him to do one. 

• Like 1

I've told this story before.
But it makes me smile.

Did a quote on a big garden, half a dozen semi mature trees, overgrown bay hedge and 30m of leylandei hedge to reduce.
He asked for a price for each tree... [emoji848]
And each hedge.
Feeling generous I threw in the conny hedge for £50.
Written breakdown of quote handed to client.

Turned up at the job.
Several tree surgeons were reducing the conny hedge.
Client explains he had a better quote for the hedge.
Then asks how much my quote will be reduced by.
£50.
He looks very surprised.
Pulls out my quote.
Face drops.
I did the other trees for a decent price.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers Eggs, not just me feeling grumpy on that subject ? . I do wonder if the "efficient" types realise that they put off a lot of decent tradesmen working for them and end up paying an awful lot more for a bodge job by other clever business people who play the game ?

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

He's a lawyer. He set you up.
That's what they do.
emoji51.png

I think what wound me up is its a great big house, three top end motors on the drive. Ya know those who if you are going to get issuses it going to come from that sort of place. Quick enough to phone when they are upto their eyes in shite but slow when it comes  to handing the money over

• Like 2