Husq 435 II or Stihl MS 181 c-be?

Mattia223

Hey folks, 

I'll be adding yet another post about chainsaw comparisons. Bear with me. 

I'd like to purchase my first chainsaw for small tree felling and firewood. In the past I used a friend's old Husqvarna which was a pig to start; not that experience with one saw will say much about. 

So in terms of price and features, I reckon these two are pretty similar: Husqvarna 435 II & Stihl MS 181 c-be. I believe they use different chain sizes. 

The big question is: which saw seems to be a better deal on paper, and which saw, in that price range, will be more dependable if maintained properly?

anyhow, looking forward to some advice. this most likely won't be the last saw I purchase, so not looking for heavy work horses at this point. However, I don't wanna invest in some cheap consumer tat if that's what I'll be getting. And lastly: which company's branded products (Oil, chains, files, replacement parts) generally better value for money? 

Cheers. M

Edited by Mattia223

4 hours ago, Mattia223 said:

Hey folks, 

I'll be adding yet another post about chainsaw comparisons. Bear with me. 

I'd like to purchase my first chainsaw for small tree felling and firewood. In the past I used a friend's old Husqvarna which was a pig to start; not that experience with one saw will say much about. 

So in terms of price and features, I reckon these two are pretty similar: Husqvarna 435 II & Stihl MS 181 c-be. I believe they use different chain sizes. 

The big question is: which saw seems to be a better deal on paper, and which saw, in that price range, will be more dependable if maintained properly?

anyhow, looking forward to some advice. this most likely won't be the last saw I purchase, so not looking for heavy work horses at this point. However, I don't wanna invest in some cheap consumer tat if that's what I'll be getting. And lastly: which company's branded products (Oil, chains, files, replacement parts) generally better value for money? 

Cheers. M

You have answered your own question really . You need to get the best pro saw you can afford . Be it second hand ( tread carefully ) or harry john spankers .  Oil chains files parts ...its much of a muchness really . What makes does your local dealer stock ?  You need to look at ....and in no particular order Husqvarna , Stihl , Echo , Dolmar ........?

• Like 1

Stihl MS181 uses a 3/8 chain, Husqvarna 435 uses .325, you could get a Husqvarna 135 II or a 120 for less money both good saws. MS181 is a smaller engine and the C-BE has the awful easy adjust chain tensioner for people who are scared of spanners.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and for your patience.

@Stubby if better means bigger and heavier then I'm not too keen. Or did you have any particular models in mind for me to research?

My local dealer stocks Stihl and Husqvarna, so both will be suitable.

@wyk

Excuse my ignorance but I have no idea what you're referring to ?

@peatff

I don't mind the price point of those saws, they just seemed the best overall packages.

I'll look at the 135 ii and 120.

Is there a consensus of what chain is better? I hear the .325 stays sharp longer but the 3/8 suits small saws well as smaller?

8 hours ago, Mattia223 said:

Thanks for all the replies and for your patience.

@Stubby if better means bigger and heavier then I'm not too keen. Or did you have any particular models in mind for me to research?

My local dealer stocks Stihl and Husqvarna, so both will be suitable.

@wyk

Excuse my ignorance but I have no idea what you're referring to ?

@peatff

I don't mind the price point of those saws, they just seemed the best overall packages.

I'll look at the 135 ii and 120.

Is there a consensus of what chain is better? I hear the .325 stays sharp longer but the 3/8 suits small saws well as smaller?

Better does not have to mean bigger and heavier ( although a pro saw will tend to be slightly heavier  being more robust for a given cc )  Its just the longevity and performance I meant . 45 - 50 cc would be adequate in a pro saw . 

• Like 1

The Makita does look like good value for money. So are Makita petrol saw now just dolmars with different costume? Any first hand experience with the machine or the customer service?

The Stihl 241 looks great but double the price of the others I had in mind. The Husq 135 looks good but possibly underpowered?!