What's the going rate for block paving

Steve Bullman

On 17/06/2019 at 23:53, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

?? It's only a days work for 2 men? Works out £79.45 m2 all depends on prices in your builders merchants as well ect but still seems high ?

Jack 

Plus muckaway, plus materials, plus profit (it's not a dirty word you know)

Spons outdoor works 2018 says £65/m for Marshalls single size blocks 60mm thick laid upon a proper sub base 150mm thick. Includes excavations. So that's £1170 for 18m2

Kerbs are £22/m for a header course- call it 9m? £198. £1368. Plus vat.

Hope that helps.

Edited by doobin
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, doobin said:

Plus muckaway, plus materials, plus profit (it's not a dirty word you know)

Spons outdoor works 2018 says £65/m for Marshalls single size blocks 60mm thick laid upon a proper sub base 150mm thick. Includes excavations. So that's £1170 for 18m2

Kerbs are £22/m for a header course- call it 9m? £198. £1368. Plus vat.

Hope that helps.

Muck away is included in the £25 m2 the kerbs are already in mostly just a couple of pin kerbs along the back so maybe £18 for them and a couple of bags of sandy gravel and cement £15 and the blocks don't need to be 60mm it only needs 50mm then there's no rules to say it has to be Mot type 1 I use 10mm recycled aggregate on budget jobs @ £6 a ton I use a wagon to remove waste I pay £65 for 4 ton soil removed and 4 ton sub base fetched in at a 230mm excavation that's 8.1 tons if it is 18m2 so £130 then there's sand 1 ton of sand  £16 per ton  does 8m2 at 25mm thick so that's £32 then the blocks don't sink and then there's the blocks budget blocks are £4 m2 so that's another £72 and silica sand is maybe another tenner and if you don't have the tools for instance £50 for a 3 ton digger then another £30 for stihl saw and whacker then weed membrane is £45 for 50m2 roll and finally labour at £300 for 2 men for a days work so the £450 for materials total is £392 + £300 labour so the job can be done on a budget for £750 & out of that there's £358 Labour paid all In all not a bad wage for a days work I'd of said 

I've re read this if I have missed anything please feel free to say this is all off top of the head 

Jack 

Edited by Jwoodgardenmaintenance
Just to remember this is a budget job marshals products are a lot more expensive and buying sub base and sand from a builders merchant is more expensive than loose load from a quarry

1 hour ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Muck away is included in the £25 m2 the kerbs are already in mostly just a couple of pin kerbs along the back so maybe £18 for them and a couple of bags of sandy gravel and cement £15 and the blocks don't need to be 60mm it only needs 50mm then there's no rules to say it has to be Mot type 1 I use 10mm recycled aggregate on budget jobs @ £6 a ton I use a wagon to remove waste I pay £65 for 4 ton soil removed and 4 ton sub base fetched in at a 230mm excavation that's 8.1 tons if it is 18m2 so £130 then there's sand 1 ton of sand  £16 per ton  does 8m2 at 25mm thick so that's £32 then the blocks don't sink and then there's the blocks budget blocks are £4 m2 so that's another £72 and silica sand is maybe another tenner and if you don't have the tools for instance £50 for a 3 ton digger then another £30 for stihl saw and whacker then weed membrane is £45 for 50m2 roll and finally labour at £300 for 2 men for a days work so the £450 for materials total is £392 + £300 labour so the job can be done on a budget for £750 & out of that there's £358 Labour paid all In all not a bad wage for a days work I'd of said 

I've re read this if I have missed anything please feel free to say this is all off top of the head 

Jack 

I used to think like that. Then I realised that you need to make profit to get anywhere in business. 

What godforsaken place are you in where a wagon driver will even turn up for £65, let alone take away 4 tons and bring the stone?

10mm recycled aggregate is for pipe bedding, not a base. A base needs the perfect amount of fines to bind properly. Recycled type 1 is about £20 a ton here in the south and to be honest virgin type one is only a few quid more and far more consistent. 

I own my own diggers and keep materials in bulk loose in my yard. Still wouldn’t dream of doing a job as cheap as that. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, doobin said:

What godforsaken place are you in where a wagon driver will even turn up for £65, let alone take away 4 tons and bring the stone?

The same place where you can get a 3 tonner for £50...... Admittedly there are massive regional variations but even so that’s mates rates at best.

35 minutes ago, doobin said:

I used to think like that. Then I realised that you need to make profit to get anywhere in business. 

10mm recycled aggregate is for pipe bedding, not a base. A base needs the perfect amount of fines to bind properly. Recycled type 1 is about £20 a ton here in the south and to be honest virgin type one is only a few quid more and far more consistent. 

I own my own diggers and keep materials in bulk loose in my yard. Still wouldn’t dream of doing a job as cheap as that. 

When there is so much competition your fighting to survive to put food on the table I'd rather have made £300 ish day rate than had £250ish a month dole and with the sub base I've been and visited jobs I done 3-4 years ago and they haven't moved

I have always compacted it in 3 inch increments to get ultimate compaction and max 25mm bed of sand so it doesn't sink or crown 

I can get type 1 with the binder in for £21.60 Inc vat a ton but on a budget that's 3 ton of crusher run so it's just a matter of customer and situation for work at the time

With the wagon it's a 7.5 tonner and he takes the topsoil away screens it and then sells it in for £25 a ton so doesn't charge (helps that I get on with the fella as well) and I'm in Maryport North West Cumbria 

Jack

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

The same place where you can get a 3 tonner for £50...... Admittedly there are massive regional variations but even so that’s mates rates at best.

Why do you sound so surprised? How much are they in your area? It's off a local plant hire firm I use £40 for a 1.2 micro or 1.5 mini and £50 for a 3 tonner then £80 for a 6-8 tonner but you get it with a full tank of diesel and it goes back with one and if you break it you fix it 

Jack