Srt use/benefits

On 19/08/2019 at 09:38, Sambo said:

I'm looking to do a competition in September so I've been watching a few videos. It seems like a popular setup is to go up on an access line but be connected to an ascender by your DRT system. So ascend to a point where you want to go out on a limb. Go out and back on DRT then continue up on the access line. 

I believe thats more used in aerial rescue scenarios

@MattyF if I recall right you just anchor off a maillion clipped to the ascender. Back up the ascender obviously.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 07:24, MattyF said:

I have never seen any thing like that! Got any links ?
There should not really be any difference for a fit an able climber if anything SRT should be easier as the friction does not vary it is consistent and coming back in you are pulling up half the rope you would Ddrt, unless you get carried away and melt friction cord which is easy if you keep the RW disengaged the friction should remain consistent,it definitely would with a mechanical system ,unless sap on ropes gets involved .
I climbed for 19 years on double ropes and spent the last 6 on SRT I would never go back to a double rope unless it was a tiny tree and not worth the hassle of hauling a 60m SRT rope on site ! I do feel adding SRT to my climbing kit means I will be able to climb for a good few more years at a level that is productive and not as near fatiguing.

I could have it completely wrong but I was going on some vids I've watched of James Kilpatric's setup. It seems as though in some situations he is using DRT from a floating anchor on a line which itself is base anchored and the floating anchor is an ascender. So once he's back at the ascender he can continue up.

I'm with you though on the SRT! Got a rope wrench at the beginning of the year to try it and loved it ever since!

I do like my spiderjack and ropeguide for tigher crowns and those sorts of trees where your up,down,in,out,over under etc. If you know what I mean?! 

Edited by Sambo

It is known as an inline anchor.

i have seen it use loads in comps.  Foot lock or set up an access line with a klemheist and you double roped system above the ascender.  Get to a suitable height, switch systems.  Doubled rope to the target, return and switch back to srt/foot lock system.  Carry on ascending and crack on.

• Like 1

Dunno- swapping systems is inherently flawed. I delivered a recent tree climb / aerial rescue course to our blokes an SRT came up. It's not allowed for work positioning with us. However I have never found ANY short comings in SRT for full crown access ( I use Teufel n Unicender) with either base tied or top tied. But most of our guys use zig zag s an they don't work SRT. So next time I present the refresher course I will include these methods as AA are now looking at including it. K

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SRT just saves your body. Plain and simple. Get good at throwline. Moving around the tree is so effortless with redirects. Load sharing on PSPs is epic. Cannobase anchor allows for higher TIPs on trees that one might not feel comfortable using that high TIP alone....get sone.....

• Like 1

SRT just saves your body. Plain and simple. Get good at throwline. Moving around the tree is so effortless with redirects. Load sharing on PSPs is epic. Cannobase anchor allows for higher TIPs on trees that one might not feel comfortable using that high TIP alone....get sone.....
Please elaborate on Cannobase anchor for higher TIPs

2 hours ago, billpierce said:
17 hours ago, swingdude said:

Please elaborate on Cannobase anchor for higher TIPs

i recon he means when your desired high anchor point is a bit weak for some reason but is in the best place then, run the rope through that fork or sling then back down to something more substantial, bearing in mind you have created a 2;1 force in the dodgy anchor point! 

of course he might mean something else entirly in which case ignore me :)