Srt use/benefits

Hi all,

I'm interested in switching to srt, I am just wondering if anyone who uses it could give me some answers and opinions.

I currently use ddrt with a zigzag, but

I cant really get my head around the concept when it comes to working the tree.

I get the massive benefit of ascent,

but I'm abit clueless with working around the canopy, do you have to clip back into your ascenders etc to move up? It my seem a dumb question, maybe abit of a faff rather than just coming back in from a branch walk and pulling up etc? I wouldn't mind trying a foot/knee ascender ddrt (I'm quite interested in the stein knee setup) for those after lunch/throwline setups, can anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks

On 17/06/2019 at 13:43, Tommy_B said:

You don't really work the tree in the same way to need to come back in from a branch walk in the same way. You go out first then down so you work the tree in 'columns' if that make sense

Or on lower limbs you can go out and then back in then up on your ascending gear to next branch. It actually takes less effort than you think surprisingly - provided you have a high enough anchor point or vertical enough working line. I thought I was going to have redirects all over the place but in reality you can still climb fairly conventionally.

The time using ascenders is offset by the speed and ease of actually ascending.

For limb walking SRT is quite convenient because of the consistency of friction and simplicity of the system as you head out. Then the direct feel as you bring yourself in is very reassuring - hold the rope for balance and take in slack under the pulley.

• Like 2

It isn’t always quicker (well, it mostly is) but the main benefit I feel is the lack of fatigue over a long days/weeks climbing. You can keep climbing without being knackered meaning you’re able to concentrate more on what you’re actually doing, meaning less of those “that’ll do” sort of cuts ? definitely worth persevering with, massively beneficial in the long run! 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:12, Carl1991 said:

Hi all,

I'm interested in switching to srt, I am just wondering if anyone who uses it could give me some answers and opinions.

I currently use ddrt with a zigzag, but

I cant really get my head around the concept when it comes to working the tree.

I get the massive benefit of ascent,

but I'm abit clueless with working around the canopy, do you have to clip back into your ascenders etc to move up? It my seem a dumb question, maybe abit of a faff rather than just coming back in from a branch walk and pulling up etc? I wouldn't mind trying a foot/knee ascender ddrt (I'm quite interested in the stein knee setup) for those after lunch/throwline setups, can anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks

You'll get the best out of SRT if you use it in conjunction with DRT as opposed to 'switching over'. I've found, since I started using SRT (and subsequently using throwlines much more) that setting my access system in the centre crown as high as I can gets me into the tree but if there's a big or long limb to visit then setting another DRT system from the ground is really handy! So SRT up into the crown and for the most part but then use the mechanical advantage of the DRT to get you up or out that awkward limb you set up before!

17 hours ago, Sambo said:

You'll get the best out of SRT if you use it in conjunction with DRT as opposed to 'switching over'. I've found, since I started using SRT (and subsequently using throwlines much more) that setting my access system in the centre crown as high as I can gets me into the tree but if there's a big or long limb to visit then setting another DRT system from the ground is really handy! So SRT up into the crown and for the most part but then use the mechanical advantage of the DRT to get you up or out that awkward limb you set up before!

I agree - though its probably personal - and due to not using SRT exclusivley - but i can climb around much quicker and more confident on DdRT - On big trees I use SRT for access and then leave this line in as an emergancy line, tool line and as an express elevator line - no more missed cups of tea, no more busting bladder - just climb back to the SRT system swap over then zip down.  YOu can even forward plan and think right - im going out on this side of the tree on DdRT and then i'll finish up down there so i can then pre set zagnwrench system i use to be around that heigh, so I skip around on the double rope down a side and then access back up to the top with SRT.  That said its hard in the begning because it is different, it is a lot of faffing about, a young bloke i work with just hauls himself around on a double rope system, he's at the top of most trees by the time every one else has clipped there ascenders on and sort out anchors, BUT he is going to blow his shoulder out in his  30's like a lot f people i know have done (myself included) - and that is one of the biggest advatages as has already been said that once you get use to it, and it gets smoother, you save alot of energy on big climbing days. 

• Like 1

I'm looking to do a competition in September so I've been watching a few videos. It seems like a popular setup is to go up on an access line but be connected to an ascender by your DRT system. So ascend to a point where you want to go out on a limb. Go out and back on DRT then continue up on the access line. 

I'm looking to do a competition in September so I've been watching a few videos. It seems like a popular setup is to go up on an access line but be connected to an ascender by your DRT system. So ascend to a point where you want to go out on a limb. Go out and back on DRT then continue up on the access line. 

I have never seen any thing like that! Got any links ?
There should not really be any difference for a fit an able climber if anything SRT should be easier as the friction does not vary it is consistent and coming back in you are pulling up half the rope you would Ddrt, unless you get carried away and melt friction cord which is easy if you keep the RW disengaged the friction should remain consistent,it definitely would with a mechanical system ,unless sap on ropes gets involved .
I climbed for 19 years on double ropes and spent the last 6 on SRT I would never go back to a double rope unless it was a tiny tree and not worth the hassle of hauling a 60m SRT rope on site ! I do feel adding SRT to my climbing kit means I will be able to climb for a good few more years at a level that is productive and not as near fatiguing.