Knife and gun crime London

eggsarascal

17 hours ago, bigtreedon said:
20 hours ago, breffni said:
Deport them to where? 

Who cares

....... probably the people in the place you deport them to. "A LAND WITHOUT A PEOPLE -FOR A PEOPLE WITHOUT A LAND" Now that ended well didn't it ;) k

• Like 1

I think the biggest factor is ( young n middle aged ) the disengagement with society ( which drugs n drink accelerate ) if you can't find a job or a decent home  Why should you care abt where you live ? If no one invests in themselves they will never achieve,  in areas where people do - those tend to be better areas even if they are relatively poor. K

A substantial increase in spending on youth services would help. There used to be things in place that might nip things in the bud before they go reet off the rails.
An end to the culture of austerity and substantial increases in spending are the only ways I can see to actually address the roots of the problem.
Anything else is just dealing with the symptoms, not the cause.

• Like 3

I go back to the Shipyard/Pit town I grew up in, in the North, and now live in affluent area surrounded by RangeRovers n "Yaaaaahh" both are relatively tidy with moderate / low crime rates - with a disparity on earnings of over a million /year ! But areas I have to work in are shit holes with high crime rates. K

To effectively change a violent/criminal culture does involve significant investment. Whilst having a brutal punishment may be a deterrent it will not be 100% effective.

A decade ago my dad taught in young offenders units, back then the reoffence rate was in the 90% region, obviously indicating its ineffective. As someone with a good bit of experience he was of the opinion the probation support was pretty much non existent, youth support in deprived areas (pre offence) was woefully inadequate and funding within prisons was inadequate.

Obviously a massive investment in these services is hugely unpopular with many people as its seen as giving nice things to violent little scroats. And I get that, but imho to break a cycle of viiolence/crime in various areas is a worthy investment.

Probably worth taking a deeks at how other countries do it. I heard something about Holland not having enough people I their prisons as rehabilitation has been pretty effective.

• Like 1

Tricky one, this.

Rehabilitation needs to be employed to some extent (help those who want to be helped and can be helped, not rewarding bad behaviour), but so also does strict justice and meaningful punishment. Rehab on its own is not enough, there has to be a stick as well as a carrot.

More funding for youth clubs might improve matters, but at the end of the day it's down to the individual in question deciding to stab someone. Some people just don't want to join youth clubs. I grew up in the countryside, there weren't any youth clubs, two buses a day, nearest town 8 miles away etc. - I never joined a gang or stabbed anybody. I did light the occasional fire, mess around with an air rifle etc. but nothing that would hurt anybody else.

i live in renfrewshire quoted above and its no were near as bad as say 10 to 15 years ago whn knife crime was epidemic in west of scotland they have done a gd job reducing the no of homicide/ knife incid3nts in tht time . i witnessed my best friend been knifed in heart whh he was 16 years ol so i know 1st hand how it affects young peepo.