Knife and gun crime London

eggsarascal

14 minutes ago, Stere said:

I often carry a screw driver  in pocket I use to remove ivy from walls & trees trunks etc whilst gardenning.

Could be a stab weapon ?

With the saw on my swisd army knife (and access to trees) I could fashion a Somali style club, or even a bow and arrows, given time.

38 minutes ago, felixthelogchopper said:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/reductio-ad-absurdum

OK, why would it would be appropriate for a child to take a knife to school? Suppose you went to a night club with a legal to carry knife; would you expect to be allowed in with it? If so, why? As to what I have in my pockets, I have keys which are for opening my truck and my house(legal and appropriate), money(legal and appropriate) and my phone(legal and etc). If I was at work then I would have a knife but I would have a reason by means of my work. If I was going to the pub, I wouldn't have a knife as I would have no need for one even though it was legal.

I've no idea. It's none of my business. I used to use mine to cut cheese, do up loose screws on wobbly chairs and threaten to cut first formers for their tuck money. As far as I recall anyway. 

If I went to a nightclub with a haircut that didn't fit , I'd be fine if they didn't let me in. It's their club. They'll lose my custom though. It's not the same as (a)public places and (b)being told rather than being asked.

Now imagine if I were to say this:

"I'm a bit worried about the content of your pockets. You could use the keys to go into your house where you could sit and use the internet to find out where I live. You could then use your keys to get in your truck and then use your phone satnav to drive here and run me over when I go out tomorrow morning. I'd like your things confiscated. You could use them to hurt me."

You'd think I was a twat for wanting to use the law to take your inanimate stuff from you when you only actually wanted to use it to do normal things. Why is it any different for something you don't see any use for but someone else might?

We aren't getting anywhere here, rather than arguing about what should happen to these folk once they've plunged a knife into someone we need to stop it. We can't deport most of these lads, they are, on the whole, British born. A proper deterrent is needed, so, what is the answer?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

We aren't getting anywhere here, rather than arguing about what should happen to these folk once they've plunged a knife into someone we need to stop it. We can't deport most of these lads, they are, on the whole, British born. A proper deterrent is needed, so, what is the answer?

How about the possibility that someone they're going to stab might be carrying a pistol? I can't see anyone on this thread taking issue with that...

1 minute ago, AHPP said:

I've no idea. It's none of my business. I used to use mine to cut cheese, do up loose screws on wobbly chairs and threaten to cut first formers for their tuck money. As far as I recall anyway. 

If I went to a nightclub with a haircut that didn't fit , I'd be fine if they didn't let me in. It's their club. They'll lose my custom though. It's not the same as (a)public places and (b)being told rather than being asked.

Now imagine if I were to say this:

"I'm a bit worried about the content of your pockets. You could use the keys to go into your house where you could sit and use the internet to find out where I live. You could then use your keys to get in your truck and then use your phone satnav to drive here and run me over when I go out tomorrow morning. I'd like your things confiscated. You could use them to hurt me."

You'd think I was a twat for wanting to use the law to take your inanimate stuff from you when you only actually wanted to use it to do normal things. Why is it any different for something you don't see any use for but someone else might?

Like I said, reductio ad absurdum is a very poor argument, even more so when you keep using it over and over again. How about answering the question I asked you about taking a knife into a nightclub? Yes, it's legal, but it it is not going to be an acceptable argument for an inappropriate thing to have in your pocket when you have no reason for having it. You're talking about being bloody minded to protect your liberties, I'm talking about employing some common sense and seeing that there is no good reason for a kid to take a knife to school.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHPP said:

How about the possibility that someone they're going to stab might be carrying a pistol? I can't see anyone on this thread taking issue with that...

Knives or guns these mainly young lads are killing one n other for laughs. One kid dead another doing a fairly long stretch. Something needs to change.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, felixthelogchopper said:

Like I said, reductio ad absurdum is a very poor argument, even more so when you keep using it over and over again. How about answering the question I asked you about taking a knife into a nightclub? Yes, it's legal, but it it is not going to be an acceptable argument for an inappropriate thing to have in your pocket when you have no reason for having it. You're talking about being bloody minded to protect your liberties, I'm talking about employing some common sense and seeing that there is no good reason for a kid to take a knife to school.

I know what reductio ad absurdum is and I'm not doing it. My argument that knives don't leap out of pockets and do harm themselves is a logical answer to your suggestion that they might. As for the nightclub, I wouldn't EXPECT to be let in anywhere. Private property, contractual terms. It so happens that I've taken a knife into loads of clubs and haven't stabbed anyone. The time I wore a burka out in Sunderland was probably more dangerous. I left my bomb vest at home though. Just as well. It might have gone off by itself.