Knife and gun crime London

eggsarascal

TBH I find it refreshing these kids are playing outside and doing some physical activity. I can’t get my two off the Xbox where they seem to spend most of the time virtually stabbing or beheading people.

(I feel compelled to add this is a joke in bad taste and stabbing people is never big or funny and knife crime is obviously a huge problem which like all other huge social problems will require all parties to come together and work for a long term term solution where all are well fed, educated, respected and cared for youths and don’t feel the need to join gangs/stab people/fear for there lives etc)

• Like 4

Seriously? If some nasty little bollocks feels the need to carry a knife near my family members then it's my business. Just because somebody has the right to do something doesn't make it a good idea. Ever heard of prevention is better than cure?

Seriously. Rough Hewn opened and concluded this argument a few posts up. Guns (or knives, cars, hammers, maces, belts, sticks etc etc) don’t kill people, rappers do. Mike Tyson doesn’t need a knife to hurt you, he can just bray on you with what he was born with. A four foot girl doesn’t need a knife to hurt you, she can spray chemicals in your eyes.

If prevention is to be better than cure in the respect you suggest, let’s drown everyone at birth or at least medically paralyse them.

3 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Seriously. Rough Hewn opened and concluded this argument a few posts up. Guns (or knives, cars, hammers, maces, belts, sticks etc etc) don’t kill people, rappers do. Mike Tyson doesn’t need a knife to hurt you, he can just bray on you with what he was born with. A four foot girl doesn’t need a knife to hurt you, she can spray chemicals in your eyes.

If prevention is to be better than cure in the respect you suggest, let’s drown everyone at birth or at least medically paralyse them.

Reductio ad absurdum has always been a poor argument. Your examples of assaults rather prove my point as they are both criminal. I've also highlighted your choice of word(hurt) because in my opinion a knife attack is more likely to be fatal than either of your examples. I know we have laws allowing the carry of non locking blades no longer than 3 inches but my point is about whether such carry is appropriate to circumstances.

• Like 1

Reductio ad absurdum has always been a poor argument. Your examples of assaults rather prove my point as they are both criminal. I've also highlighted your choice of word(hurt) because in my opinion a knife attack is more likely to be fatal than either of your examples. I know we have laws allowing the carry of non locking blades no longer than 3 inches but my point is about whether such carry is appropriate to circumstances.

It’s not absurd. It’s logically and ideologically consistent. And you’re losing me. A knife sat in someone’s pocket isn’t an assault either. What’s your point? I said hurt, which covers a multitude of sins. It could be kill, it could be intimidate, or whatever in between. Don’t try and pretend there aren’t a million things out there that can be used to hurt (or whatever) that aren’t knives. If you want an example, cars. You can kill people sitting down. To your last point about appropriateness [of what you have in your pocket], I’d say that’s another one of those joys of minding your own business. Otherwise I want to know what’s in your pocket now and if I don’t like it I want it banned.

I always carry a pocket knife, generally a Swiss Army Officer model, I have carried it for about 30 years.

A  mate just brought me a lockblade Hunter from the US, a lovely purely practical knife,

but I dare not carry it since the blade is both (i) lockable and (ii) 3&3/4" long.

Madness, that the Law cannot see the difference between 60 year old me, who carries a knife as a simple everyday tool, and the oiks/scrotes/wronguns carrying knives for nefarious purposes.

I did carry an 5" bladed Opinal when living in Belfast as a student, in the early 1980,s but again to me it was a tool for cutting things, not stabbing other people.

EDIT

A particular puke of a Regular Army Colonel looked quite distressed, when he asked why I was wearing a lanyard looped around my epaulette, and I produced a 1953 Broad Arrow marked RE  issue  SS Jacknife, with a surgical scalpel taped to the smooth SS side, plus the worn out Abbotoir knife in my webbing, for "hoking" as a RE person does.

A strange bloke, but then he seemed to think the same of me!

mth

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AHPP said:

It’s not absurd. It’s logically and ideologically consistent. And you’re losing me. A knife sat in someone’s pocket isn’t an assault either. What’s your point? I said hurt, which covers a multitude of sins. It could be kill, it could be intimidate, or whatever in between. Don’t try and pretend there aren’t a million things out there that can be used to hurt (or whatever) that aren’t knives. If you want an example, cars. You can kill people sitting down. To your last point about appropriateness [of what you have in your pocket], I’d say that’s another one of those joys of minding your own business. Otherwise I want to know what’s in your pocket now and if I don’t like it I want it banned.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/reductio-ad-absurdum

OK, why would it would be appropriate for a child to take a knife to school? Suppose you went to a night club with a legal to carry knife; would you expect to be allowed in with it? If so, why? As to what I have in my pockets, I have keys which are for opening my truck and my house(legal and appropriate), money(legal and appropriate) and my phone(legal and etc). If I was at work then I would have a knife but I would have a reason by means of my work. If I was going to the pub, I wouldn't have a knife as I would have no need for one even though it was legal.

• Like 1

A slip blade knife is not really a weapon, you'd be as likely to cut your own fingers to the bone if trying to stab with one. Slashing, yes, but you'd still want to be a bit of a ninja to pull it off and not hurt yourself. Throat cutting yes, but then you'd have to grab your victim from behind and take them unawares, and if you are in a position to do that, ie. a planned assassination, then you could just as easily choke him/her to death instead - the weapon becomes moot. So there is a rational to the locking blade law. Didn't Kahn put an end to stop-and-search with the excuse that it was "racial profiling"? I believe he did. Typical progressive denial of reality. The liberal mayor of New York did the same thing, stabbings went way up for years, eventually Rudi Juliani reinstated stop and search in certain neighbourhoods, and it went way down again. A law is only a law if the police can enforce it.

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 2