5ton Cedar stem... whats it worth ?

Benjenkins5

We've felled an over mature cedar that was dropping limbs for fun. I'm guessing age is close to 200 years and weights around 5 ton. It's massive! What's it worth ? 
C144780B-4DF8-4DAB-BD52-91D82CD16494.thumb.jpeg.54a621f2f15457e4c14ceb5af4f60549.jpeg
3FF08A6D-076E-467C-8491-2836969FEAA3.thumb.jpeg.8dac0700a4506c59f67d8fc9be166a00.jpeg

This is a question which comes up very frequently.
It's a perspective thing.
From the sellers point of view it's a big log which might be valuable.
From the buyers point of view it's completely different.
We have to price logs on a daily basis.
We know what we are looking at.
For example a 8' x 3' oak log can vary in price from about £20 up to £2000.
Knowing where your log is in this kind of range is a skill you learn.
It's always worth posting decent logs on here, I'm always after quality logs and there's lots of other millers on here too.
Don't let Dempsey wind you up,
He's actually a really knowledgable and decent bloke, just as blunt as a chipper blade after 10k hours.[emoji12]
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Big J said:

It's a nice stick, not 5 tonnes, but big enough. 

Value wise, it's not worth much I'm afraid. When I ran the sawmill I would have offered to pick it up for free to clear the site, but the cost of the HIAB is going to be as much as the log is worth. I had a bit of Deodar cedar through the yard over the years and it's lovely when it's good quality, but it fractures easily around knots and is quite brittle. 

It's ideal for oversized garden furniture, due to it's durability, but not much demand other than drawer boxes beyond that. 

makes good furniture too.

30.JPG

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

makes good furniture too.

30.JPG

I completely agree Steve, and you did a great job with that. It's not the easiest to work though, and you need the clean, knot free first length to realise anything of quality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Treerover said:

About 10 years ago I got £1.50 a cubic foot picked up but as part of a bigger load in Warwickshire. Where are you ?

It would be more valuable as part of a larger load. I'd say you'd get £60/t for it now if it was a full load of similar sticks. Plus haulage.

• Like 1