cleavers

cship

My wife and I layed an old hedge over the winter (probably last done about 60 years before) and pretty pleased with the results considering what it started like. Over the past week or so some sections have been swamped by cleavers. Should I clear these off, or will the hedge grow on quite happily? Would people generally clear everything away from a hedge to let it have as much light as possible? It is not primarily for stockproofing, but I do want the hedge to become as healthy as possible. Tia

I'm in the remove them camp;  cleavers choke and pull plants down.  Leaving them will deprive the growing hedge of light at the bottom where presumably you want it thick.

If we were having this discussion in August I'd say don't bother with them - they'll be gone soon, but it's a bit early for that.

• Like 1

Guest Gimlet

A strong well laid hedge will survive cleavers but it's far better off without it. If it's practicable, rake it off. 

Cleavers will inhibit new growth but won't completely curtail it because it's an ephemeral weed and the hedge will reassert itself later in the growing season. More important is to remove all elder ruthlessly and stop the re-establishment of bramble and while the hedge is young, wild rose species. All these will out-compete, out-grow and kill off neighbouring structural natives and create holes.