Finding your first job

Dcray

Hi,

I am in my late twenties and looking to get a start in the industry. My big question, and problem is how to get my foot in the door? I’m a good worker and have some tickets already. Most firms seem to be asking for people with previous experience. If any one has any advice (or work!) it would be great to hear from you all.

I have picked up a few of my tickets and have been working as a mountain guide in Austria the last few years. At the same time I’ve been running a medium size business in the uk (not my own). I am currently located in the north west but willing and able to move for work. Ideally I’d look to be some where towards the southwest.

many thanks, Damian

8 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Nope- go to their yard n talk direct. You will get a better idea if they up to scratch as well as If you are ! K

Perhaps, though lots of peeps wouldn’t want unknowns turning up at their (often semi secret for security reasons) storage facilities, on the pretext of looking for work.

• Like 4

I started out in the industry 18 months ago. First off i was looking for a full time, on the books job with some of the bigger firms, but like you say they all want people with experience. So i ended up subbing to a handful of smaller one man band companies. The first guy i worked for was an hours drive away but since then a few guys within 20 mins away regularly have work for me. Its all about building experience and gaining trust.

Best advice i could give would be to use google and facebook to find all the local companies to yourself and email or call them up, and be honest about your experience levels. You will probably just be dragging brash and chipping to start with, but its a foot in the door and if you work hard people will remember you, and use you again. And try not to get discouraged if you struggle for a while. also, if you get a a response off someone saying they may have, or will have some work for you in the future, dont be afraid to message them again if you dont here from them in a couple of months. dont pester them but a friendly reminder that you're still looking for work doesn't hurt. some of these guys running there own firm are mega busy and they forget stuff/people. 

thats how i managed anyway. 

i dont know where youre based in the northwest, but if you are anywhere near Manchester/stockport/glossop way there are loads of firms about.

Anyway all the best looking for work pal!

• Like 1

Thanks all,

no magic formula. Just put myself out there and put as much in as I can. Thanks for the heads up on arbjobs ive already made contact with your man in newton abbot this morning. All help much appreciated!