Hydraulic pressure ?

dig-dug-dan

Hope some hydraulic experts might know. Have an unusual problem on one of the crushers, see video. The ram basically slows and loses power, and the pressure switch fails to tell the ram to change direction.

It only happens once the machine has got hot. 

Have changed the filter, the ceetop valve, pressure relief valve, pressure switch and made sure its full of oil.

My next thought was to change all the fluid, and then the pump. Pump has only done 300 hours, but this machine does little work as its kept off the hire fleet for my own jobs.

I can send a sample of oil off for analysis if thats any help

40 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Hope some hydraulic experts might know. Have an unusual problem on one of the crushers, see video. The ram basically slows and loses power, and the pressure switch fails to tell the ram to change direction.

It only happens once the machine has got hot. 

Have changed the filter, the ceetop valve, pressure relief valve, pressure switch and made sure its full of oil.

My next thought was to change all the fluid, and then the pump. Pump has only done 300 hours, but this machine does little work as its kept off the hire fleet for my own jobs.

I can send a sample of oil off for analysis if thats any help

Dan before you spend any more money changing bits you need to beg steal or borrow a hydraulic flow/pressure meter. Piped in line on the ram you are referring to will tell you the line pressure in that  circuit along with the flow rate, eg. for arguments sake if the ram comes under load and stops but still shows flow and pressure through the meter it would indicate the seals are shot in the ram. If the flow stops it will then show X amount of pressure in that circuit. Just takes all the guess work out of this sort of thing.

Bob

imagejpg1_zps8294a55d.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Dan before you spend any more money changing bits you need to beg steal or borrow a hydraulic flow/pressure meter. Piped in line on the ram you are referring to will tell you the line pressure in that  circuit along with the flow rate, eg. for arguments sake if the ram comes under load and stops but still shows flow and pressure through the meter it would indicate the seals are shot in the ram. If the flow stops it will then show X amount of pressure in that circuit. Just takes all the guess work out of this sort of thing.

Bob

imagejpg1_zps8294a55d.jpg

Thats what i need, its not easy to plumb that in, but there is a test port in the valve block under the ceetpop which might do the trick. Just need to see who might have such a device!

most good hydraulic repair companies would have one.

long shot here but google hays hydraulics aberdeen and give them a ring - their guys work all over country and if not bound to know somebody.     mike hays or charlie moir are good folks to speak to there.

one of their guys based in aberdeen, lives in ballater was in yarmouth last week or so  - they bound to know somebody

6 hours ago, david wood said:

most good hydraulic repair companies would have one.

long shot here but google hays hydraulics aberdeen and give them a ring - their guys work all over country and if not bound to know somebody.     mike hays or charlie moir are good folks to speak to there.

one of their guys based in aberdeen, lives in ballater was in yarmouth last week or so  - they bound to know somebody

Thanks!

Do as Bob suggests but if a flow/pressure tester is not available can you get to the hose that is on the return side of the ram?

If so get the machine warm  and a clean bucket. Put a rock in to stall the machine as in your video and then run the pipe in the bucket and power up the ram to stall, if oil still flows into the bucket when stalled then the ram seal has failed.

If not then it's likely the pump isn't managing to get up to pressure.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

My mate has a pressure gauge i can plug in in the first instance!

Is there another service the pump operates? If it reaches the same pressure on both the problem is likely the pump. To be sure you can cap a port on the block to see if it reaches the blow off point of the relief valve.

13 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Is there another service the pump operates? If it reaches the same pressure on both the problem is likely the pump. To be sure you can cap a port on the block to see if it reaches the blow off point of the relief valve.

once i get onto the tablet, i wil put a piccie up, but basically there is a ceetop valve that operates the ram. the valve porting block underneath has a testing port on it, which i know the manufacturer uses to set the pressures.

the pump also operates the tracks and the conveyor