Social Media

krazy_klaus

Hi all,

I'm just after peoples advice and ideas. There is a Facebook group that has been formed in one of our local districts (I'm sure there are many) the group appears to be in support of wildlife and preserving trees (which I totally back). However recently the local authority had some hedges cut (hard) in a relatively high profile area by flail mower, this has caused uproar which I do understand at this time of year, but since this the group have really gone to every extreme with law and regulations. I have been in the industry for nearly 15 years now, previously working for this local council, now working for myself we now do work for environment agency and are understandable working to a high standard operating in such ways to be fast to respond to the noise of chainsaw or the sighting of a tree surgeons van, also viewing applications on the councils website, all resulting in a member arriving at the site or potential work site and filming/photographing and posting online.

So my question to everybody is, what is everyone doing this time of year? for years now we have carried on pruning and felling trees with care, but it appears with the new change in nesting season we cant even trim a hedge in our own garden until August.

I am sure most will say carry on as normal, but I just don't want to be plastered all over Facebook as a criminal tree surgeon.

Cheers

That is a very good point.

There was a tree guy on FB recently who was the victim of a pile-on because a neighbour didn’t like him legitimately taking down a hollow overaged  walnut in a neighbour’s garden.

He popped in here to discuss it. Don’t know where it is though

• Like 1

What makes the situation worse and more personal, a friend of mine owns a plot of land in the area, there are several self seeded sycamores and one mature sycamore, none of the trees are protected or in conservation area, however a neighbour who's boundary is the conservation line, has without talking to my friend applied for permission to fell the one large sycamore, giving her address (which flags up as being in conservation area). so now this group have turned up and all objecting to an application which doesn't even exists .... so???? if the council refuse to fell the tree which has no constraints upon it where do you stand ???

Edited by krazy_klaus

12 minutes ago, krazy_klaus said:

... so???? if the council refuse to fell the tree which has noconstraints upon it where do you stand ??

Confused.

Why would the council fell a tree (or refuse to fell a tree) that is on someone else's land?

Edited by Bolt

It's social media, ignore it and move on. If you respond, you will fan the flames of trolls.

If there are no birds nesting in the hedge, the works are not illegal. Flail cutting a hedge, certainly if it's Hawthorn, will benefit the hedge.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nimby said:

It's social media, ignore it and move on. If you respond, you will fan the flames of trolls.

If there are no birds nesting in the hedge, the works are not illegal. Flail cutting a hedge, certainly if it's Hawthorn, will benefit the hedge.  

Unfortunately I disagree. You can't ignore it. Check the link I posted earlier in this thread. These people are actively out to damage peoples businesses entirely through ignorance for the most part.