How d'they do dat?

Badgerland

Afternoon all!

I've been asked to make a rustic table and 2 benches and the client wants to have the edges treated like he saw on a bench outside a restaurant. If I get this right they should be seen in the pictures attached (hopefully!).

The only thing is I can't figure out how they did it. My initial thoughts were they were made with a debarking tool (possibly on a chainsaw) like I think Logosol do. The other possibility is that they used an electric hand planer, but assuming the slab is only 2 inches thick the planer blade would only be about 2 inches wide. I thought most were 3 inches or widers.

So, let's have your thoughts (on this topic before you all go freestyle!) on how it might have been done, cos I'm wearing a groove into the side of my head working it out!

IMG-2069.JPG

IMG-2068.JPG

Adze

13 minutes ago, Badgerland said:

Afternoon all!

I've been asked to make a rustic table and 2 benches and the client wants to have the edges treated like he saw on a bench outside a restaurant. If I get this right they should be seen in the pictures attached (hopefully!).

The only thing is I can't figure out how they did it. My initial thoughts were they were made with a debarking tool (possibly on a chainsaw) like I think Logosol do. The other possibility is that they used an electric hand planer, but assuming the slab is only 2 inches thick the planer blade would only be about 2 inches wide. I thought most were 3 inches or widers.

So, let's have your thoughts (on this topic before you all go freestyle!) on how it might have been done, cos I'm wearing a groove into the side of my head working it out!

IMG-2069.JPG

IMG-2068.JPG

Adze ?

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Adze

Adze ?

Hah! See, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility.

It looks a bit too mechanical a cut to me for an adze though. Not really had any experience of using one, so would an adze give such a flat plane? Or would it be a bit more curved as the blade followed it's natural arch?

That's either been through a planer thicknesser or possibly been leveled with a router sled

Edit. Oops you said edge so looks like a handheld planer across the grain. Bit odd really and adzed would look much better

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1