Electric Vehicles or EVs

Baldbloke

1 hour ago, Big J said:

For me, the biggest draw of electric vehicles is their performance. I honestly can't wait for widespread electric vans and trucks. 3, 4 or 500bhp, maximum torque from zero, no shifting down when towing 3.5t up a steep hill as you've no gears and with that much torque, I doubt you'd notice the hill. And then get home in the evening and hook it up to your house to recharge, where you'd ideally have some sort of renewable to discount that. 

I am looking forward to it :D

Absolutely. For me it's not so much about the absolute power but the fact it wouldn't mind all the stop-start driving involved in log rounds. My Dmax was going to self destruct as the DPF couldn't cope and the old Hilux is only just warmed up by the time I get back so hard on the engine and economy. The power for towing wouldn't hurt though

• Like 2

I am looking forward to safer driving too.  Tesla cars all have driverless capability, the world just needs to catch up.

After more than a century of letting humans be at the wheel one thing we do know is they are unsafe, unpredictable, unreliable, in fact down right dangerous.  High time we let a computer take charge.

• Like 1

It's all a complete waste of time so long as you're still burning fossil fuels to create the electricity. 

Have your own turbine or solar setup to generate the power and I applaud you. It's a genuine and real step in the right direction.

Buy a new car, with it's obvious requirement for raw materials, plug it into an already overstretched national grid and then turn around to pat yourself on the back for doing "the right thing" really? 

Don't get me wrong, battery tech is the future, but it can only be viable if we also change how we generate the electricity to charge them. Otherwise it's just adding to the long list of non beneficial "environmentally friendly" disposable crap we already produce.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

It's all a complete waste of time so long as you're still burning fossil fuels to create the electricity. 

Have your own turbine or solar setup to generate the power and I applaud you. It's a genuine and real step in the right direction.

Buy a new car, with it's obvious requirement for raw materials, plug it into an already overstretched national grid and then turn around to pat yourself on the back for doing "the right thing" really? 

Don't get me wrong, battery tech is the future, but it can only be viable if we also change how we generate the electricity to charge them. Otherwise it's just adding to the long list of non beneficial "environmentally friendly" disposable crap we already produce.

Look at this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_the_United_Kingdom and the graphs you can see how our grid is rapidly changing. You buy an EV today and say it last 10 years maybe. By then we will hopefully be well on the way to 100% renewables from around 30% now which is not too shabby to start with

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Big J said:

For me, the biggest draw of electric vehicles is their performance. I honestly can't wait for widespread electric vans and trucks. 3, 4 or 500bhp, maximum torque from zero, no shifting down when towing 3.5t up a steep hill as you've no gears and with that much torque, I doubt you'd notice the hill. And then get home in the evening and hook it up to your house to recharge, where you'd ideally have some sort of renewable to discount that. 

I am looking forward to it :D

Bang on, it’s going to be great and I can see a time when peoples car/house battery becomes used as part of the nations energy infrastructure. 2 cars on the drive on a sunny, windy day take energy in, on a dark calm day give it back to grid. Tech will be able to do the maths, know when you use the cars etc and make it all user friendly and balance with nuclear as the back up as and when.

• Like 2