Summer firewood?

I think the fact I phoned them to express concern that I wanted to make sure as a loyal customer they got first pickings of the seasoned wood swung it, very few turned it down.
I guess that's just the human condition, to want to be valued, remembered and in the loop. It's a good business technique to use it to both of your advantage. [emoji3]
  • Like 1

I have the space and like to season my own wood. When I tried to buy a load or two (either unprocessed unseasoned or processed but unseasoned) last April ish, I didn't have much luck. And prices were only a little lower than processed seasoned, if at all... So not really worth it, though I did manage to get a load in the end. It was so wet it's still seasoning, and I'll burn it this winter!

I have the space and like to season my own wood. When I tried to buy a load or two (either unprocessed unseasoned or processed but unseasoned) last April ish, I didn't have much luck. And prices were only a little lower than processed seasoned, if at all... So not really worth it, though I did manage to get a load in the end. It was so wet it's still seasoning, and I'll burn it this winter!
That's interesting, what price were you happy to pay in the end for processed unseasoned wood? (Assuming that's what you found)

IIRC, I paid about 20 quid less for a load of unseasoned wood than I would have paid for seasoned. Not really worth it. I found it very hard even to get a price for unprocessed wood- it seemed to be more trouble for the sellers than just providing processed seasoned wood. I know how much work there is in seasoning and processing as I do it myself whenever I can, so it would need to be a reasonable saving.

your not wrong with that we have about 70 tonne of good beech and sycamore that we are trying to sell direct from site in approx 4 - 4,5 tonne loads, its 2,5 mtr straight and diameter from 4" - 24"get about 3 - 8 enquirys per day buy sales are near on zero, and the stuppied questions i get asked is unreal,

the load will make approx 14 bulk bags when cut n split and we are asking £250 a load plus a bit of delivery cost its not expensive, is it ? it works out at under £20 a bag, 

• Like 1

your not wrong with that we have about 70 tonne of good beech and sycamore that we are trying to sell direct from site in approx 4 - 4,5 tonne loads, its 2,5 mtr straight and diameter from 4" - 24"get about 3 - 8 enquirys per day buy sales are near on zero, and the stuppied questions i get asked is unreal,
the load will make approx 14 bulk bags when cut n split and we are asking £250 a load plus a bit of delivery cost its not expensive, is it ? it works out at under £20 a bag, 

You robbing get! Knock some more off it and deliver it for me and i might be interested! ?

summer special just for you £249.99 for one week only !!!!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] way weathers going you could hollow out the trunks and make canoes! Then what you’ve hollowed out keep and sell it as firewood! Best of both worlds, Winner!!!
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2019 at 00:53, Steve Bullman said:

I used to call round my customers during the summer when I was quiet. Would usually spin a yarn that my firewood supply was low on the ground and I wanted to ensure my regular clients had enough seasoned wood to see them through the winter. I would mostly get a 100% success rate using this method.

Exactly what I did last year, though I was actually shifting yard at the time "I thought I'd give you a call to see if you wanted to buy a little extra in for autumn..." and yes, few people declined

Edited by Acerforestry
Grammar

A mate of mine who is into domestic work also does logs, bagged chip and mulch. He sends out flyers to customers with offers on a few products and finds it brings in a lot of tree work . Its a sort of memory jogger and we are still here thing I suppose.

Just saying.

Bob 

• Like 1