Aphids on tree

elfie

Have a big tree that gets severely infected every year. Wasps love it and feed heavily on them.

Despite all the bad press they get I honestly think a neonicotinoid would be best. My reason is they are less broad spectrum than pyrethroids (which kill everything) and more effective than organic.  

If it’s a mature tree I wouldn’t bother unless it looks to be suffering. The wasps and honeydew are likely to be a bigger issue. 

2 hours ago, Stere said:

Why not just use a  pressure washer blast them off?

If you do add a bit of soap as it is supposed to lower the surface tension and block their airways.

I grew peppers last year and used a water pistol to keep aphids off but then I was doing it regularly not as a one off.

• 1 month later...

Spray with fairy liquid (other washing up liquids are available).  The soapy liquid stops them breathing.

Also put sugar at base of the trees. Aphids are farmed by Ants that protect them from pests.  Aphids are farmed of their 'waste', which is sugar.  Ants are not stupid, why climb a tree and fight pests, when you can get the sugar at the base?   

• Like 1