Bilking, don't worry

eggsarascal

There was no mention of informing the police when I rang Tesco, nor did they ask me to pay over the phone. I told them I'd be back to pay on Monday, they said fine, they didn't even ask what vehicle I was in or for any personal details.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, htb said:

Was it there to loose in the first place? :001_tongue:

I don't carry a wallet as such. I carry cash and a card holder, the card holder is usually in the glove box, no cash in pocket and card holder sat on the table at home, I'd used it earlier today to pay for a pump that I need for tomorrow and not put it back in its rightful place.

On 11/06/2019 at 08:07, Woodlover said:

I picked up the wrong card recently before going to get diesel ,our toddler plays with our old out of date cards and I accidently took this. Got my diesel went to pay and it did not work , the cashier said I have to wait at the petrol station for a debt recovery company to come which can take upto an hour and it will include a charge of £10.I only got a tenners worth of diesel to start with.

I said here are my details, I will be back in a minute with my in date card , she said I cannot do that I must wait...I said call the police if you have to but I am going, went...came back 5minutes later and paid.What muppet would wait.

Quite right to, a perfectly reasonable action on your part. Where on earth did the store clerk think they had suddenly gained the power to detain you?

Ive done it myself but common sense and being acquainted with the store staff was perfectly adequate to allow me to pop back later and settle up. It’s what any decent person would do. 

That naturally leads on to those that might try it on purpose. 

When you consider the turnover of some fuel stations, it’s peanuts. Maybe different for your smaller / independent but still, not a police matter (quite rightly) unless aggravated.

Its only an an assumption that payment is at point of delivery. You could just as well say - give me an invoice and I’ll settle in due course. 

Stay there and wait for a debt recovery agent, and pay for the ‘service’, you did well not to laugh in his/her face! 

13 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Its only an an assumption that payment is at point of delivery.

I don't think so.  My understanding is that by taking fuel before payment you are entering into a contract your side of which is to pay immediately after taking the fuel.

It explains why when dealt with criminally the offence is Fraud, not Theft: the offender practised a deception by taking fuel that he would pay immediately afterwards.  It's a technical point but such cases are dealt with as Fraud or making Off Without Payment, not Theft.

• Like 1

I did consider that before posting....

But....

If the terms of the contract are not clearly displayed and easily understood it would probably be void in any case. 

The thread made me think of a circumstance one of my restaurant owning acquaintances related a while back. 

Chap came in, took a table, had a steak dinner and a bottle of wine - a thoroughly enjoyable meal by all accounts - took the bill and made to leave. 

When challenged he simply said “I’ll send you a cheque idc”

Nothing they could do. Apparently, he was touring Cornwall on the same gig. 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Nothing they could do. 

I'm not trying to fall out with you, honest guv, but again I disagree.  Staff could have demanded verification of name and address; if refused call Old Bill - that refusal would be prima facie evidence of dishonesty.