Buying a new Sawhorse

logsIlike

I've been looking at sawhorses and I like the Forest Master Ultimate Sawhorse

https://forest-master.com/products/saw-horse/ultimate-saw-horse2017-03-22-16-01-21-detail

However I've seen a Draper version of the Sawhorse https://www.drapertools.com/product/32274/Heavy-Duty-Log-Stand-(300Kg)

Does anyone know if there is a difference in these 2 sawhorses?

Or do you suggest a different sawhorse?

Thanks in advance

hi logs,looks the very same as the forestmaster,which i have,the f/m i think is a bit cheaper, only one thing with the f/m is its abit low for me,at 5ft 10in. i put a couple of height extensions on the cross bars at the bottom to bring it up,around 10in or so.after that no probs with the old back.regards struie

Have you seen the Portek ones, where the chainsaw is clamped on you slide the log along?

I have one, its a great bit of kit. You can put surprisingly large logs through it. 

You do have to watch out for the smaller logs as they can get flung out but once you get used to it you know what to expect.

I have a Smart Log holder, which is most similar to the 150kg version on Draper. It works really well for smaller logs which can skip about in a wooden horse. I do all the small ones picking and loading the log with my right hand whilst keeping hold of the saw in my left, saves a lot of bending to place and pick the saw.

I really don't get that heavy duty one though, looks awful. It's a performance with the chain to load the log, the front legs slope up near to the cut, and are you really going to lift up a 300kg log to cut it? Anything above 25kg gets cut up exactly where it lays, no point busting your back on the log to make holding the saw easier. Or 6m long? Cut it in half.

If I was buying again I would look at the one which clamps the saw, seems to save a lot of saw lifting but I reckon you need to have 2 saws with you or else you'd have to keep putting it in and out.

Have you seen the Portek ones, where the chainsaw is clamped on you slide the log along?
I have one, its a great bit of kit. You can put surprisingly large logs through it. 
You do have to watch out for the smaller logs as they can get flung out but once you get used to it you know what to expect.
Interested in this. I looked at a few videos of these in action and I thought the guard didn't look that robust. I was concerned that only one side of the guard remains in contact with the log resulting in a slight twisting action and over time this would result in the guard bending, one day coming into contact with the chain

I have a Smart Log holder, which is most similar to the 150kg version on Draper. It works really well for smaller logs which can skip about in a wooden horse. I do all the small ones picking and loading the log with my right hand whilst keeping hold of the saw in my left, saves a lot of bending to place and pick the saw.

I really don't get that heavy duty one though, looks awful. It's a performance with the chain to load the log, the front legs slope up near to the cut, and are you really going to lift up a 300kg log to cut it? Anything above 25kg gets cut up exactly where it lays, no point busting your back on the log to make holding the saw easier. Or 6m long? Cut it in half.

If I was buying again I would look at the one which clamps the saw, seems to save a lot of saw lifting but I reckon you need to have 2 saws with you or else you'd have to keep putting it in and out.
You make some good points. I had narrowed down to the 300kg f/m and a smart log holder. Which one do you have? The top where the log is clamped do you have the sort with one bar like the Maktika or with 2 bars that requires the log to be fed in rather than slotted from the side.

5 minutes ago, logsIlike said:

Interested in this. I looked at a few videos of these in action and I thought the guard didn't look that robust. I was concerned that only one side of the guard remains in contact with the log resulting in a slight twisting action and over time this would result in the guard bending, one day coming into contact with the chain

I will happily admit that the guard was taken off mine within  a few cuts! Its only me that uses it and I'm quite happy without it. 

Its a very productive system, especially when you arrange your logging area to make the most of it.

A second saw is very useful for preparing the logs if they are not straight, but with chainsaws- the more the merrier!

• Haha 1

Mine is badged Smart Holder, but it looks just like the Makita one. I've had it years, it seems now they are reselling in several places as it's like Stihl and Logosol.

I'm not sure the two side bars is a big deal though, I feed the log in end on which knocks the previous stub off the teeth and lifts the little arm up as it goes. I rarely cut bits long enough to go through more than a log or two, they would be unwieldy so get cut in half on the pile.

15 hours ago, william127 said:

I bought one of these in 2018 when they were £35, now £43

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141447656080

I had an old Dolmar electric chainsaw with no kickback protection so I was keen to keep the top guard.  The saw horse looks identical to the Portek one but that one cost £100

I found that it was difficult to clamp the chainsaw bar without the clamp slipping so I drilled a couple of holes in the bar and bolted it and it works fine.  This works for me as the Dolmar would otherwise be redundant

The table folds neatly for storage and the whole setup is fine for occasional use at home when a trip to the farm and the Palax is not worth it.  The chainsaw is relatively quiet and fume free for working indoors.