Which electric saw

monkeybusiness

59 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

We just picked up the Makita for around half the price of the big 2. Safe to say Makita knows a thing or two about battery technology and you could have a pile of spare batteries with it for the price of the other two. It's amazingly capable and is going to get way more use than I thought.

Glad your finding it a success. Id also vouch for Makita, had mine over a year now, used it for all sorts, nothing overly big- it’s not up to that, but processing brash, felling small stuff, landscaping work it’s fantastic. It’d make a fantastic chipper saw too.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Glad your finding it a success. Id also vouch for Makita, had mine over a year now, used it for all sorts, nothing overly big- it’s not up to that, but processing brash, felling small stuff, landscaping work it’s fantastic. It’d make a fantastic chipper saw too.

You say nothing too big but I was ringing up some 12" ash to demonstrate it the other day. Not fast but way better than my mate was expecting. I have it by the processor and even if there is a big cut it's probably quicker from picking it up to putting down than firing up the 346.

49 minutes ago, AHPP said:

What bars do the chainsaws made by companies like Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee (companies best known for tools other than chainsaws) use?

I’ve got an old makita DCS7900 petrol chainsaw that runs husky fitment bars, so I’d imagine the electric saws will be the same.

I’ve just ordered the Makita - much better value than the Stihl gear it would appear. I’ve ended up with a saw, 4x 18v batteries, a double battery charger (the saw uses 2 at a time to run at 36v) and the 3/4 inch Makita impact wrench (which I’ve been considering buying anyway) for less than £650 delivered tomorrow (Saturday) including vat. £260 of that is the bare impact wrench! 

I`ve got the Makita route myself, because I have other 18v stuff so plenty of batteries, I`ve had both the rear handle and top handle. They are never going to be petrol saws, but for the use I`ve gave them, I`m happy with them, takes a few cuts to get the feel of them, to get the best out of them and the battery. On a side note the battery top handle is the only saw I`ve ever had to show my card for to buy!

What size batteries did you go for 5ah? They do a 6ah but there is a big jump in price between the 5 and 6, I think I`d read on here @doobinwas using copy battery with no problems, if they are cheap enough to have enough of them to keep cutting while others are charging.

I don`t think you`ll be disappointed with the impact wrench either.

6 minutes ago, Craig. said:

I`ve got the Makita route myself, because I have other 18v stuff so plenty of batteries, I`ve had both the rear handle and top handle. They are never going to be petrol saws, but for the use I`ve gave them, I`m happy with them, takes a few cuts to get the feel of them, to get the best out of them and the battery. On a side note the battery top handle is the only saw I`ve ever had to show my card for to buy!

What size batteries did you go for 5ah? They do a 6ah but there is a big jump in price between the 5 and 6, I think I`d read on here @doobinwas using copy battery with no problems, if they are cheap enough to have enough of them to keep cutting while others are charging.

I don`t think you`ll be disappointed with the impact wrench either.

Just the 5ah - they’ll do for this job. 

I’ve heard good things about the impact wrench - I’ve got a hitachi one which is excellent but the brushless makita is supposed to be another level again... We will see! 

I've also gone the Makita route.  Brushless chainsaw, hedge trimmer and strimmer.  All 36 volts.

Not as good as the petrol equivalents - but still brilliant - and I find I'm using them more and more.

I have mostly 5 amp batteries. 

The charge time for 6 amp batteries is around 45 minutes versus 22 minutes for the 5 amp ones.

5 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’ve got an old makita DCS7900 petrol chainsaw that runs husky fitment bars, so I’d imagine the electric saws will be the same.

I’ve just ordered the Makita - much better value than the Stihl gear it would appear. I’ve ended up with a saw, 4x 18v batteries, a double battery charger (the saw uses 2 at a time to run at 36v) and the 3/4 inch Makita impact wrench (which I’ve been considering buying anyway) for less than £650 delivered tomorrow (Saturday) including vat. £260 of that is the bare impact wrench! 

£260? You got ripped off! I’ve just bought the 3/4” drive one for £220 from amazon. Makita kit seems to be consistently well made from my experience, all my power tools are Makita now.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

£260? You got ripped off! I’ve just bought the 3/4” drive one for £220 from amazon. Makita kit seems to be consistently well made from my experience, all my power tools are Makita now.

Hey ho - I needed the saw before Monday and this deal gets delivered tomorrow (which Amazon don’t offer). 

The new makita hegde trimmers looks decent:

https://www.makitauk.com/product/duh601z.html

Odd that its got a bigger max branch diameter than the double battery one?

Heres a review I found:

https://opereviews.com/landscaping/hedge-trimmers/makita-cordless-hedge-trimmer-xhu07t-review/

Also they do a double battery multi tool pretty expensive though if you add cost of with different attchments etc.:

https://www.makitauk.com/product/dux60z.html

Edited by Stere