Japanese Larch

Subsonic

Apologies in advance I have exhausted my search capabilities and have not found any useful information.

I have been offered a lorry load (approx 25 ton) roadside of seasoned larch at £33 m3 and have no idea if this is a good price. It would be used for logs and haulage is an additional cost.  Any advice on how this compares with the going rate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Subsonic

30 minutes ago, Subsonic said:

Apologies in advance I have exhausted my search capabilities and have not found any useful information.

I have been offered a lorry load (approx 25 ton) roadside of seasoned larch at £33 m3 and have no idea if this is a good price. It would be used for logs and haulage is an additional cost.  Any advice on how this compares with the going rate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Subsonic

How is it going to be charged?  This is rather important as if it is firewood size there is lots of room for different calculations.  For this reason it is more usually sold by the ton.  

How seasoned is it?  I would estimate three quarters of a ton per cubic metre in which case £33 per cubic metre is OK and if dry then less drying for you to do.

30 minutes ago, Subsonic said:

Thanks, Subsonic

How is it going to be charged?  This is rather important as if it is firewood size there is lots of room for different calculations.  For this reason it is more usually sold by the ton.  

How seasoned is it?  I would estimate three quarters of a ton per cubic metre in which case £33 per cubic metre is OK and if dry then less drying for you to do.

Thank you both for your feedback. 

The owner estimated the lorry load to be 35 m3  @ £33 m3 = £1,155.  If the lorry load is 25 tonne that equates to £46.20 tonne.  I hope my maths is correct.

The lengths have been stacked for approximately three years.

He estimated haulage would be approximately £300 for a 30 mile trip.

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks Subsonic

lorry will be full to top of bolster pins and will be sub 20 tonne thats why they are selling by the cube, to me that is a steel at that price rip his arm off, 3 year felled will be sub 20% moisture so no waiting cut split sell money back straight away, lorry below 19180kgs on and could not get any more on,

20180529_143133.jpg

• Like 7

Last wood lorry load I bought (2016) was newly cut high moisture content lodge pole pine from forestry Commision @ £410 (estimate 22- 24 tonnes) + £270 delivery. Can’t imagine there’s a lot of calorific difference between larch and lodgepole pine for biomass use. So £17 / tonne wet + delivery (£11.20/ tonne) comes to around £28/ tonne/ cube.

£33 / tonne dry seems good to me[emoji1303]

7 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Last wood lorry load I bought (2016) was newly cut high moisture content lodge pole pine from forestry Commision @ £410 (estimate 22- 24 tonnes) + £270 delivery. Can’t imagine there’s a lot of calorific difference between larch and lodgepole pine for biomass use. So £17 / tonne wet + delivery (£11.20/ tonne) comes to around £28/ tonne/ cube.

£33 / tonne dry seems good to meemoji1303.png

lodgepole makes good firewood but is heavey and it dont last long once felled takes blue stain on in very little time, and reason why its cheap is that no one else wants it, no good for external use as it wont take perservative in to it,

• Like 1