My magnificent Scots Pine is under attack!

Waldy

Beautiful tree, what a pity to impact its appearance by removing such a large branch.

However, if the neighbours are planning to remove the branch overhanging their property, which they are legally entitled to do of course because it is trespassing, it would create a large wound. From the photo it appears that the wound would be located next to a major fork. The wound will be open to colonisation by wood decay fungi which may over time potentially lead to an increased risk of failure in that part of the tree - a particular worry considering the major fork there. I would be a good idea to have the tree inspected every couple of years following the works including a climbing inspection to keep an eye on the affected bit.

It might also be a good idea to plant a replacement pine close to the existing one in anticipation of its ultimate complete removal. The replacement would then hopefully have some years to get established and grow to some reasonable size to provide some level of amenity. The loss of the original then won't be such a loss when the time comes.

4 hours ago, eco-tom said:

Beautiful tree, what a pity to impact its appearance by removing such a large branch.

However, if the neighbours are planning to remove the branch overhanging their property, which they are legally entitled to do of course because it is trespassing, it would create a large wound. From the photo it appears that the wound would be located next to a major fork. The wound will be open to colonisation by wood decay fungi which may over time potentially lead to an increased risk of failure in that part of the tree - a particular worry considering the major fork there. I would be a good idea to have the tree inspected every couple of years following the works including a climbing inspection to keep an eye on the affected bit.

It might also be a good idea to plant a replacement pine close to the existing one in anticipation of its ultimate complete removal. The replacement would then hopefully have some years to get established and grow to some reasonable size to provide some level of amenity. The loss of the original then won't be such a loss when the time comes.

Re the planting of a replacement nearby.

I think this is a poor idea, for starters the tree will struggle in the shadow of its larger neighbour, 

Secondly it’ll make the removal of the tree (in the event of its replacement ever achieving any sort of amenity value) problematic, one slip and you’ll damage the replacement.

Have you tried to get a tpo on it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Have you tried to get a tpo on it?

Seriously???   I never realised that an individual could apply.  It's all a bit late now though.  I will post a picture of the aftermath once I have licked my wounds.

I would contact the TO immediately, I would be surprised if they didn’t agree that the tree was of amenity value, ask the neighbour to hold off until it’s dealt with as your getting some advice yourself, check the credentials of the person doing the work on your tree also, make sure they are legit, you could end up with a real dodgy looking mess otherwise.

• Like 1

It is unlikely that this species will be colonised by wood decay fungi if the limb is removed, however you could use that in your favour as an negotiating point, that if the tree dies as a result the neighbour could be liable.

Also you have the right to disallow access to any part of the tree on your side of the boundary to use as an anchor point.

Given the size of the tree out doubt it of sufficient size to meet the TPO assessment criteria.

Another approach is to discuss a reduction on that individual limb rather than just crosscutting it.

Best of luck, it's a fine tree and I wonder why on earth the neighbour wishes works as its miles from his dwelling.

I have heard of people using steel nails to deter unwarranted works, not condoning it though but I can see how it's effective when the tree surgeon hears about them.