New Sub Contractor Help

robinh73

Morning all, I am in the process of giving up my day mundane day job to set up in the world of tree surgery. I am going through my Lantra courses at the moment but I am wanting to also register myself as a sub-contractor to gain experience and also future work, basically trying to make myself as useful as possible. I understand I need a CSCS Blue Card, but I take it to get this, I will need to do the relevant ROLO course and touch screen course. Excuse my ignorance, but I do all this via the BALI website I take it, locating my nearest training centre and going from there? Cheers! 

Cheers for that. The only reason I was going to go down this route is that one of the larger more established companies locally, require a CSCS Blue Card, so I figured it was something that would be needed. If I could get away without it, that would be good, as setting up is costing a fair whack in Lantra courses alone! 

19 minutes ago, tonytree said:

I’m my opinion I think you would be better getting city and guilds courses rather than the lantra equivalents.

Stand to be corrected though but I think city & guilds are more recognised.

I didn't think city and guilds did arb courses, they only do assessments. 

Assessments are of limited use if you are new to the industry and need actual training in order to learn actual things.

Edited by Bolt

I didn't think city and guilds did arb courses, they only do assessments. 

Assessments are of limited use if you are new to the industry and need actual training in order to learn actual things.

I think when I done my 30/31 38/39 it was all city and guilds.

34 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Am I reading this correctly?, you're going to be a subby/ freelancer with no experience?

I do have experience but want to build up my skills and knowledge hence doing the Lantra courses. I am fully aware that experience is everything and while I am not looking at full time freelance work, there are some smaller companies locally who sometimes require extra help. I just figured it would be a good way to get experience where possible. Does that make sense?

I'd double check with ur trainer about ur tickets.

I know many forestry companies never used to recognise lantra tickets

I think u are correct not only do assesments but most trainers should put a course on to cover that not ticket. The lantra course will cover it all anyway, can u not ask for a nptc assesment instead of lantra?