Elm tree id

1 hour ago, Paul Cleaver said:

great stuff - nice to see a healthy  larger Elm. Do you have DED where you are or do you live in an isolated area

No don't live in a isolated area I'm at chesterfield I'm guessing the tree was young when the main DED affected the uk, but I don't know.

11 hours ago, astra25 said:

Not sure I'll have to measure but at a guess about 28-30" diamiter at about 3ft up from ground.

It is certainly well mature enough for the dutch elm scolytus  beetle to breed  and infect the tree . It could be immune or just lucky so far it hasn't bee infected, It would be better propagating from cuttings than seed I think as genetically it would be identical to the parent tree. Also see this interesting link   https://conservationfoundation.co.uk/projects/the-great-british-elm-experiment/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Cleaver said:

It is certainly well mature enough for the dutch elm scolytus  beetle to breed  and infect the tree . It could be immune or just lucky so far it hasn't bee infected, It would be better propagating from cuttings than seed I think as genetically it would be identical to the parent tree. Also see this interesting link   https://conservationfoundation.co.uk/projects/the-great-british-elm-experiment/

Yeah I know what you mean I have also tryed growing cuttings from a ulmus procera tree to clone that which is also local to me only a young tree which originally came from this website which they have now sold out. Iv tryed cuttings 3 separate times with no look they start to grow leaves and look like there doing well then die off and there are no roots started when I look at them. I contacted the site and all the trees they have sold didn't come from cuttings they were grew in a lab which is called tissue culture.

Here's the site

https://kingco.co.uk/trees/elm-trees-ulmus-species

• Like 1