Buying a used saw

SimpleSimon

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a saw for use around the farm where I work (logging up firewood, the odd bit of felling, sorting our any storm damage, etc, etc) and maybe for contracting a few similar "odd jobs". 

Much as I'd love to splash out on a new Husky, I don't think it'll pay for itself from the work I'll give it, so I'm looking at second hand options. 

I've got my eye on a Stihl 260 and/or also a 251. The 251 is obviously newer and seems to have had very little use, but is (maybe?) an inferior saw. The 260 is older but doesn't look to have had a particularly hard life and the seller has owned it from new and claims to have looked after it. Anything I should be aware of or pay close attention to when buying used, in particular these models? Both are sub-£200. Does that sound about right? 

Any input appreciated. 

I can certainly recommend a 260. Brilliant mid sized saw. If it fires up readily from a cold start and from hot it could be fine. Mine has a lot of compression off the starter cord if the decompressor isn't used, so that might be a fair indication for the top end. A visual check should tell you if the seller has looked after it. Ask him/her if the needle roller is greased regularly. Sub £200 for a complete good saw is a bargain IMO.

Edited by Baldbloke
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Sounds ok if any good but if you could stretch your funds a bit more you can get a new husky 550 Xp for £378 plus vat 

Really I'd like a 550xp or possibly a 555, I'd have a saw for life, a history I could be sure of, and long-term I'm sure it would pay for itself. But short term I'll struggle to justify it when I have vehicle repairs, home improvements, credit card bills, etc also competing for my cash ?

I'd give the 251 a miss, nothing really wrong with it but a heavy not very powerful homeowner/gardeners saw. I think. 

I've no experience what so ever of the 260.

Have a look at husky 350/357, can be had for a good price, powerful(for size), well balanced and sturdy. These are my 2 most used saws these days.

260s are pretty good saws, they get a bit of piston skirt wear with heavy use and then knock a bit but generally pretty robust.

Check the bottom of the saw out and check for wear to the underside plus check the plastic covers out. It gives a good indication of the sort of life it has led.

• Like 1

I usually also make sure the top end is original Stihl, it will have markings cast in to the bottom of the cylinder and a stamp on the top of the cylinder if original.

I still see many nice MS260s floating across my work bench in very good condition so they are out there if you look.

If it is in good condition then £200 is reasonable.

• Like 3