Replacement hip and splitting logs manually

Baldbloke

On 05/06/2019 at 09:35, Baldbloke said:

My original trade was a panelbeater. Did a lot of restoration work on some interesting cars and bikes. Used to use an English wheel and use tin/lead repair rather than cataloy. I did a lot of sill/jacking point repairs to Interceptors in my timeemoji1303.png

Do think that on reflection, the work you did bending, picking up , bashing and operating the English wheel was the cause of your bad hip?

Some people put it down to a games career in a hard sport, others say it is just hereditary.  Do tree workers suffer more than average?

My brother in his fifties, was sitting in his parked car reading a paper when a woman lost control and ran into the back of him which set his car on fire.  He was not hurt but six months later he had to have a new hip out of the blue .  He had no history of pain and another few months later he had the other one done.    The doctor said that it was strange and started asking questions about his family history  (no new hips in our family up to this point).   Then the doctor said in his experience two factors come up time and time again.  One is deep sea diving and the other is severe shock.

At this point I reminded my brother of his accident and the doctor said that  was undoubtedly the cause..

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

Do think that on reflection, the work you did bending, picking up , bashing and operating the English wheel was the cause of your bad hip?

Some people put it down to a games career in a hard sport, others say it is just hereditary.  Do tree workers suffer more than average?

My brother in his fifties, was sitting in his parked car reading a paper when a woman lost control and ran into the back of him which set his car on fire.  He was not hurt but six months later he had to have a new hip out of the blue .  He had no history of pain and another few months later he had the other one done.    The doctor said that it was strange and started asking questions about his family history  (no new hips in our family up to this point).   Then the doctor said in his experience two factors come up time and time again.  One is deep sea diving and the other is severe shock.

At this point I reminded my brother of his accident and the doctor said that  was undoubtedly the cause..

Up to 25 I did motocross and rugger, which probably didn't help my joints. I'd snapped both my Anterior Cruciate ligaments by then as well as broken a number of bones. I've also always worked a saw and been an outside person. I don't think crawling around on concrete floors or playing with tools in the garage did any harm.

Hi Baldbloke , 
What type of joint did they fit ? Reason I’m asking is I had a replacement in 2013 after being diagnosed in 2000 , mine is ceramic and the surgeon told me it would see me out !! I’m 58 by the way .
Anyway mine has been great and I am doing everything as normal but it was fully 2 years before the twinges and aches stopped fully , so don’t go mad on it too early .
Good luck [emoji106]

Ok, saw my consultant today who seemed very pleased with my progress. I asked him what kind of joint he’d fitted because you asked.
Titanium with a ceramic ball end held within a plastic sleeve/surround. Reckons it’s as good as you can get. So sounds similar to yours
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Ok, saw my consultant today who seemed very pleased with my progress. I asked him what kind of joint he’d fitted because you asked.
Titanium with a ceramic ball end held within a plastic sleeve/surround. Reckons it’s as good as you can get. So sounds similar to yours

Aye , 

Sounds identical ,  anyway I was told mine would see me out so I hope it and me last a few years ? good luck to us .

regards

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

I had further xrays yesterday with a view to getting some jabs in mine. I would give anything at this point for some relief from the constant nagging pain and a good nights sleep.

Hope you guys that have had yours done have good luck with them, and that your pain never returns.

1 hour ago, ESS said:

I had further xrays yesterday with a view to getting some jabs in mine. I would give anything at this point for some relief from the constant nagging pain and a good nights sleep.

Hope you guys that have had yours done have good luck with them, and that your pain never returns.

Feel for you  , I remember the pain well and hope it never returns .

Hopefully you’ll get some relief soon . In my experience the painkillers that took the pain away precluded me from normal life , so I made do for years on co codamol 30/500 , I was 10 a day laterally , not a good move !!  Just keep nagging the medics .

Feel for you  , I remember the pain well and hope it never returns .
Hopefully you’ll get some relief soon . In my experience the painkillers that took the pain away precluded me from normal life , so I made do for years on co codamol 30/500 , I was 10 a day laterally , not a good move !!  Just keep nagging the medics .

The trouble with Codeine is it makes you shit bricks and get piles. And that gives you something else to moan about[emoji3]
  • Like 1