Replacement hip and splitting logs manually

Baldbloke

Plaster off and insulation on if it were mine. I would rather live an easy to heat home than a museum but each to there own I guess but in a world of ever-growing pressure on resources, it just makes sense to insulate and save the trees IMO. Sorry, I am becoming a raging greeny and cant zip it ?

It does look beautiful

• Like 1

Plaster off and insulation on if it were mine. I would rather live an easy to heat home than a museum but each to there own I guess but in a world of ever-growing pressure on resources, it just makes sense to insulate and save the trees IMO. Sorry, I am becoming a raging greeny and cant zip it [emoji3]

It does look beautiful

Fair enough on the green front. Although between a 20 kW wind turbine and the 60 kW biomass it does save a lot of heating oil being burnt, as well as providing an income.

We will probably move into a less characterful but better insulated house when running this place gets too much.

I also have access to about 15 years worth of dead standing elm by a best guess having used about 1/6th over the last 3 years, so the bonus is that no trees suffered in the process[emoji3]

What kind of age are you guys getting these replacements at ? 

Mine have been pretty angry for a few years now, and burn like hell some days, particularly climbing up slopes, and to the point of disrupting sleep with the pressure on them.

Xrays have shown arthritis, but they seem reluctant to do anything beyond pain relief. I am 62 btw.

I am fortunate enough to have reached 65 years without hip trouble in spite of an early farming career where cwt (50kg) bags were the norm, usually lifted from the ground and then leaning over a hopper to empty.  The invention of a forklift then a teleporter was a godsend but my main ambition now is to go down to a tree in the woods, bring it home and process into logs into a ton box and bring it six feet from my wood stove, without lifting anything but the final log to the stove.

I put the wood through a Palax Combi now but occasionally I will cut a box of smaller pieces for my elderly neighbour using the forklift bucket and an electric  kinetic quicksplitter

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ESS said:

What kind of age are you guys getting these replacements at ? 

Mine have been pretty angry for a few years now, and burn like hell some days, particularly climbing up slopes, and to the point of disrupting sleep with the pressure on them.

Xrays have shown arthritis, but they seem reluctant to do anything beyond pain relief. I am 62 btw.

You're well due!  I have a friend had one done at 50 and was back climbing in five weeks.

Get on with it!

3 minutes ago, nepia said:

You're well due!  I have a friend had one done at 50 and was back climbing in five weeks.

Get on with it!

Really ? that was one of my concerns . I still enjoy picking a saw up on the right jobs, I did wonder how a replacement would stand up to that.Although I spend a lot of my time on machines now ,felling is part of my life I don't want to let go of yet.

Its the doctors that are holding back, early stages they say, if that's the case it must get bloody painful eventually, I have to stop up hills to let the pain subside because it gets too angry to keep walking.

Did any of you guys that have had replacements have any success with injections pre op ?