Replacement hip and splitting logs manually

Baldbloke

I had a full hip replacement just over three months ago. Absolutely brilliant op, now pain free, and don't walk like Lurch any more. I've recently walked up to seven miles in a go and now have a motorcycle back on the road.

The house biomass needs about 30 ton of logs a year. Three days ago I split around three ton of logs with a maul, and yesterday I did considerably more. A little sore today. Anyone else had a hip replacement and still managing to be active in felling and firewood?

had a new hip dec 1999 

prior to that was pretty much dragging myself about

been great  just beginning to seize up now after a day logging

i mostly just do a few hours at a time and if in doubt have always cut it up 

no very heavy logs lifted

have you a "catcher" on your chopping block ?

no bending over 

saves time and effort

splitting with a splitter thou and bought a mini tractor 

feeding a biomass boiler as you are  not as big more like 20 tonnes a year

took up cycling and with super low gears went some interesting  places..... slowly

as with logging feeling it now after a modest ride

so look forward to at least 20 years

good luck

• Like 1

Guest Gimlet

Lower spine is my issue. I hand split all my domestic logs but if I go on for too long I can't stand straight afterwards. I acquire all my firewood in winter as a by-product of hedgelaying so I have all summer to split and stack it in the shed ready for next winter. So for me it's a case of little and often till it's done.

Edited by Gimlet

18 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Lower spine is my issue. I hand split all my domestic logs but if I go on for too long I can't stand straight afterwards. 

What height is your block?   Catching logs is a good idea too but if you're bending excessively as you maximise the force of your swing your body will be feeling it more in a bent stance than an upright one.  A taller block may be worth trying.

• Like 2

Guest Gimlet

Good point. I'm 6' tall and my block is barely 18". 

Like most people, I guess, I just pick the biggest, squarest log as a block and make do with that. Maybe a good idea to find a wide, tall block at 2' + tall.

20 hours ago, david lawrence said:

had a new hip dec 1999 

prior to that was pretty much dragging myself about

been great  just beginning to seize up now after a day logging

i mostly just do a few hours at a time and if in doubt have always cut it up 

no very heavy logs lifted

have you a "catcher" on your chopping block ?

no bending over 

saves time and effort

splitting with a splitter thou and bought a mini tractor 

feeding a biomass boiler as you are  not as big more like 20 tonnes a year

took up cycling and with super low gears went some interesting  places..... slowly

as with logging feeling it now after a modest ride

so look forward to at least 20 years

good luck

20 years would be great. The surgeon didn't glue in the replacements in as he said I'd likely need another set before I snuff it. I do have a splitter but prefer the maul as I feel it gives me a bit more exercise. However, using the maul for 5 or 6 hours gave me the first hint that maybe it was a mistake.

Unfortunately, going anywhere around here on a pedal bike is not something I fancy. Too many blind corners and young lads in cars driving carelessly. Perhaps off road is worth considering though.

Apart from being a bit sore from overdoing it the other day, it seems like there's nothing different to my other good hip. It is that good. One thing my wife immediately noticed post op was that the surgeon had realigned my left leg so I don't now walk toe out. I do have concerns about dislocating it though because it's awfully easy to forget it's a replacement rather than an original. Did you ever have any issues with that? 

On 02/06/2019 at 12:36, Baldbloke said:

The house biomass needs about 30 ton of logs a year.

Not meaning to be rude but fit some insulation man! 30 tonnes for one house is a bit ridiculous IMO

On making things easier as said get a reasonably tall block. Now the killer I found when using the axe is not the splitting but all the picking up the bits to resplit. I built a frame around the block with a platform just below the top of the block and 2 sides and a back, just open at the front for you to swing through. Hope that makes sense

• Like 2

Not meaning to be rude but fit some insulation man! 30 tonnes for one house is a bit ridiculous IMO

On making things easier as said get a reasonably tall block. Now the killer I found when using the axe is not the splitting but all the picking up the bits to resplit. I built a frame around the block with a platform just below the top of the block and 2 sides and a back, just open at the front for you to swing through. Hope that makes sense

IMG_2161.jpg

Seven bedrooms and lots of intricate plasterwork. Unfortunately the plasterwork would need to be destroyed to effectively insulate the walls. We have however done the attics and all floors already.

I like the idea of a frame but have a system where I place five logs on individual blocks and move a step for each swing. It lets me do the tonnage more quickly. Or at least it used to[emoji3]
  • Like 2

What works for me splitting firewood is not putting it on a block. I wade about a pile of rounds, kicking bits upright with my foot or just hitting them sideways. Way more efficient for me. Less bending, less handling. Possibly unnecessary for you though. If you're man enough to do 30 tonnes a year with a maul, I assume a lot of it just falls apart at the sight of you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2